Scale Rot ? Female Woma

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

illuminartis

Reaction score
Is this Scale Rot? - Female Woma
Hello everyone.

This is Chay-Ara, Female Woma Python approx 6-7 months old.
about 1 week ago I noticed that she began to form discolouration on top of her head. At first I thought she managed to burn herself on the lamp mesh cage because it wasn't growing in size, however in the last few days it appears to have spread ever so slightly.

Is this Scale Rot?
might this disappear after next shed (which I believe to be soon)

Anyone else have the same arise?

Apologies for the photo quality.

Some things to note:
Substrate: - Red desert sand ( pet store variety)
Temp- 29-31c (hot zone) and 26-27 (cool zone) these temps are a constant.
-access to water
-lives in a 3 foot tank.
-handles very well on the daily (no mood change before or after head issue)​

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 231
  • 1.png
    1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 230
Reminds me of nose/head rub that my bhp had. Does she rub her head against the top corners of her enclosure?

Seems like digging marks to me. Thats what they do when they landscape their enclosures (just like in the wild building a burrow or making an existing one suit themselves).

Yes, that's abrasion, not rot. If you have something in the cage which the snake is trying to get under or into, but it won't quite fit its head underneath, that's what's causing it. if you're quick and find the source of the problem, you'll find the damage is repaired after a shed or two. If you leave it and the damage continues, it'll end up scarring permanently.

Jamie

@msxcbvc- Thanks for the reply, I haven't noticed that specifically, but i have seen her on occasion rub her head on the wall as she goes past.

@SKYWLKR- Thanks, yeah that makes sense.

@pythoninfinite- Thanks for the reply, I think I may have found the source of the problem, whenever I can I have been watching her movements around the enclosure whilst she is active at night.

Last edited:
kind of hard to stop them doing it really both my adult bredlis do it in there's as well that do heal like the guy said
after few sheds. often sing you snake is hungry as well I I know womas do have big appetites. dose it have sand as substrate also

Yeah, I heard they have big appetites also, Im currently working her up to larger rats so that may make a difference. Yes she is on Red Desert Sand for her Substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back