Scales coming off (need help)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kit_fox

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi y'all

when I come to fill fill up my children pythons water dish today, I noticed that a though of his scales on his stomach are sorta flapping off and stuff. How bad is this? Is there any thing I can do to stop this?

p.s. Before every body says so, he isn't about to shed (he shed one month ago)

Last edited:
Maybe post a picture of your enclosure and the scales that you are talking about so we can see what is going on.

Do the scales go back down a little later? Sometimes they can stick their belly scales out a little when they tense their muscles when you pick them up, it looks a bit odd when they do it.

Or are you talking about scales actually detaching from the animal?

Trimeresururs: i mean his water dish

andynic07: I'll try and post some pictures

slide: yes, a couple of his bottom scales ARE detaching

- - - Updated - - -

I just checked on him and took him out and did a rough count of the missing scales , Theres about 7 missing and flaking, and then i say 'missing' I don't mean the hole scale, I just mean on the edges. But he acted like he was completely fine, which is pretty good

Last edited:
I cant offer much more input on the situation as I have not heard of this before but could you please post some clear photos so that others can possibly learn from it and some may have seen it before and be able to offer some kind of advise.

Cheers, Aaron

It's not just a bad shed that is flaking and looking like scales are coming off is it?

Slide: I'll to get some pics, but I still don't know how to pics on here

saximus: nope, his last shed was literally perfect

Is there anything in the cage that might be roughing his scales up?

Nothing, except for a mini 'tardis' (which is from Doctor Who) which I got for Christmas. It has 3 little pointy shrubs stuck on it, but I sanded it before I put it in, but it is still a little sharp (to help him Shed)

- - - Updated - - -

Finally took a pick, this is what my hand looks like after holding him (sorry that the pic is bad, I had to use a second hand ipad mini).

tried to get a pick of him, but when I did, you couldn't see the flaking scales on his belly. But you could see the scales on my hand.

- - - Updated - - -

Update: His scales are still flaking, but he doesn't appear to be in any pain and still moves around like he always does.

Should I give him a bath and see if that helps?

- - - Updated - - -

Another update: scales still flaking...:(

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back