scales

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wattso been lookin for info on scale fungus and apparently it can appear as a milky colour and is sometimes caused by enclosure being either damp or cold why dont you cover the ventilation a bit and dowse affected area with dettol for now (cant hurt can it?) doesnt sound like it'd be very humid in your enclosure but does sound like it may be fairly cool?

are there any discharges from vent or mouth?

Fangs, yep the bit im worried about is where he waas injected in july,
Parko, the 22c i mentioned is on the floor of enclosure, this is the bottom of the range, top temp is 32c from about 2/3 the way up. Its definatly difficult to heat in winter thats for sure, will be cooling this coming winter.
Fangs could you see the vid?

no didnt look at the vid......if it is at the site of the injection its nothing to worry about.

sorry Parko missed your other one. No, no discharges at all, Im thinking maybe the humidity is too low? of heard of something called scalerot/dryrot? hope its not that.

sorry Marc, no dont think its shed mate, last one was clean also its not kind of on top, if ya get me.

why do they have probs with injection sites anyway??????

Crikey africa!

How many scales has he lost. OPMV starts out with scale loss. Have you been around other peoples snakes recently (last 3-6 months?).

Hawkeye

Holy cow batman! ophidian paramyxovirus???? :shock: what the hell is it????

Not good.....universally lethal so far to snakes.
Better read up on supportive measures.

Cheers Hawkeye

EDITED.............................................................................
I read the symptoms, dosent sound like it. I hope you guys were just yankin my chain.?????????????

could anyone who has actually looked at the vid on pg1 of this thread please offer suggestions re: scale anomaly if you have seen similar. much appreciated ~Dan :oops:
p.s.
1. my vet is not experienced with reptiles, he was looking in a book!
2. $35 later he said he didnt know, poss reaction to worming injection,that I shoudnt worry, BUT...see1. !

I have seen the vid (have broadband at work) I dont know what it is. Does the white stuff flake off? It could be a bacteria of some sort or maybe a mould? I will search around some sights and ask my vet what they think.

Talk with anyone whose snake you have held in the past 3 - 6 omnths. You may have picked up something from someone's snake and past it to your own. Technically your snake doesn't have to have come in contact with another for it to get a disease/bug. You can carry it easily.

I would suggest that every time you touch your snake you wash your hands with an antibacterial wash. Otherwise evertime you touch him, your just giving him another dose and he'll never get over it. In fact, it'd give everything a good scrub and start him off in a nice clean cage. Even any branches/hides or anywhere he has been in your house. I know it seems like a lot but once he gets over this you want to reinfect him.

Fungal Infections: A number of fungal organisms can cause superficial and deeper infections of snakes. Most of these infections involve the skin and respiratory system. Fungal infections of the eyes are most likely to occur in snakes housed in damp, contaminated environments. Ringworm fungi that usually infect people, pets and livestock have also caused skin infections of snakes. Snakes must be housed in scrupulously clean and dry enclosures. The flooring must be easy to clean and should not be of a material that encourages fungal (mold) growth (see section on Housing). A veterinarian must examine Snakes exhibiting problems with their skin and/or eyes as soon as possible. A microbial culture and a skin biopsy may be necessary to obtain a diagnosis. Treatment of fungal diseases involves use of topical and systemic (oral and/or injectable) antifungal agents. Prevention of fungal disease involves correcting underlying problems with husbandry.

Ok basically this is what I have found that might or might not have something to do with what your Monty is going through

wattso monty might be shedding as a result of his scale problem, sum snakes often do this to rid parasites and to help heal cuts and abrasions. I wouldnt panick if i were u. Mabey just experiment with the humidity or just wait till the shed is finished then examine him again.

Thanks Amy, i a[ppreciate your help. Only snakes or other herps ive been near in the last 6 months have been [EDITED] Im guessing his herps are fine. montys house IS kept very clean, substrate changed daily also water bowl, everything else branches, hides cage itself is sterilised every weekend. The whitish stuff/area dosnt flake. [btw] hes preshed right now] I always wash my hands After handling him, never thought to do it before handling. I will resterilise everything tho, it certainly wont hurt. I mayu be worried about nothing, it is the site of previous injection that worries me BUT the other few loose/peeling scales are in other places, may or may not be related. Either way ,Ill see what hes like after shed. poss hes initiated a shed because of this prob? i appreciate it! ~Dan :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back