scales

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry Ackie, you posted while i was answering Amy's. yeah i thought of that, Thanks mate :wink:

I'd still be concerned that its a systemic illness especially since areas away from the injection site are also flaking. I would suspect in order of suspicion:

1) Infection (viral/bacterial)
2) Toxicity (what are you sterilizing with)
3) Unstable environment re humidity/temp
4) Something from outside like pesticides/flyspray/fertilizer

Cheers Hawkeye

Thanks Hawkeye, um...
1. possible/probable
2. not sure- using boiling water and bleach dash of standard disinfectant/
3. not sure what humidity should be/is, havent got gauge but dont think stability/temp is prob
4. very unlikly dont use any of those, could frshly mown grass be it? i.e. 2 stroke residue? dont remember having him on it just after mowing but, normaly after a week when its grown nice and soft.

Maybe you should buy an animal friendly disinfectant this time round and see if it is an allergic reaction to what you use now? It might be as simple as he has had too much contact with the disinfectant? (would explain the smaller and more frequent sites on his body)

Also if he is pre shed, I would wait untill after he has shed and see if it clears up. Saying that, I'd keep a record (with dates) of what has happened so far and try to keep it going till after he has completly shed. Try to note anything different about Monty. This way you can find a vet who knows about retiles and get some advice over the phone (most vets are happy to help) and see where to go from there.

Hope all goes well, keep us informed.
Amy

P.s: Didn't mean to offend about the cage cleaning thing.

I have heard that white scale scarring at a baytril injection site is common...
Let us know what your vet says Wattso.

Amy, will do , no offence was taken :D
Nicole, thats pretty much what the vet said, that it happens and not to worry. will see how he goes after shed and will change disinfecting solution. Anybody use steam cleaning on rep enclosures?, was thinkin of getting one of those steam thingys advertised on tv, any thoughts? :?

If ya gonna steam ya enclosures you better make sure all ya silicone joints are very good otherwise steam will enter them and the next thing you know they'll be falling apart !! Take care Wattso buddy!!

Thanx for the tip Africa, but my enclosure is timbre and glass! [snake enclosure that is] :wink: glass is all kept in place by timbre rail;s, no silicon.

I reckon you should still silicone the edges/joints as they can be a hiding place for mites should you be unlucky enough for ya herps to get them. I am now parabloodynoid about the little buggas!!!

I see what ya gettin at, not a bad idea mate, will do when i do turt tank, but will have to have something to put monty in till it sets/drys! only have one snake enclosure :(

If you were in Melbourne I could lend you one for a few days mate but your not so I can't so I don't know why I am bothering to type this LOL :)

African can also lend you some test mites too if you want :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Cheers Hawkeye

LOL ! he probly sprays all visitors with T.O.D at the front door! :D

LMAO! they got special instructions for your mail down at the postal center? :D

Yup mate, told 'em they can leave the Anthrax in but if I find a mite I'll sue their asses off , my postie wears a biological warfare suit, don't know why but he was muttering something about TOD allergies :)

Seriously Africa, do ya know how ya got them? was it lax quarantine or what?

Yes mate, another one with the attitude it'll never happen to me, I'mm too careful!! It happened!! I bought a trio of blueys and had to put them indoors for a while while I sorted out their enclosure. Gave 'em a tank in the snake room, no quarantine and BINGO, mite city!! Everything now gets quarantined, needless to say :) Well, nearly everything that is as I don't quarantine the meat the missus buys at the butchers but most of that gets frozen to kill the bacteria :)

If you have no silicon (in the tank I mean) then I think steam might be a way to go. Depending, it may even kill mites. Thing is, those steam thingos can be quite bulky and depending on what you get, you have to put the whole machine into the enclosure to get into corners or whatever. Careful you dont get burnt. (I have several times. Never learn)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back