Scaly-foot information/care sheets?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HoodieBeast

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry if I've posted this in the wrong place! :)
I recently freed up a 4ft tank which I believe I can house a scaly-foot in?
I'm yet to start setting it up and plan to take advantage of the width and height of the enclosure.
I was wondering if anyone may know/ have some info on them?
I haven't found much on what temps they prefer such as basking and cool spot temps and I haven't had much confirmation on tank size. Other general care I assume is pretty similar to my blue tongue except more insects in their diet (Not that my Bluey dosnt get much he just has lots of veggies too) :p
Any help or info, heck even pictures of ones other people have would be much appreciated!! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Whilst I don't keep blue tongues and never have I do keep two species of scaly feet. Their requirements are much the same as geckos, especially anything from the nephrurus genus. Temps of about 32 at the hot end, a nice gradient down to room temp at the other and they'll choose where they want to be. Mist with water every couple of days, crickets or woodies every second night, dusted with calcium two out of 3 feeds. They aren't the best hunters so you may have to tweezer feed them. My P. nigriceps enjoy a cricket feeder rock filled with damp sphagnum moss during the day to curl up in.

As for the size of your tank, they don't need much height so anything above 20cm high is probably going to be wasted. I'd suggest a colony of amyae in the 4ft tank and get a smaller one for scaly feet :-D

I'll have a look at some nephrurus genus care sheets too then, much as I'd loooove to have a much bigger collection and Amyae would certainly be on my radar I'm not sure how my housemates would feel;)
And thanks for the info, I wouldn't have thought of a Sphagnum hide, which I have plenty of thanks to my snail colony.
Also what sort of heating do you recommend? I have a nightglo heat lamp, would a daylight bulb be ok, or would a heating mat be better with only UV light?

If you can get your hands on it, Danny Browns book, 'care of geckos and pygopids in captivity' is a really informative book on anything to do with scaly feet and Nephrurus.

I use a heat cord to heat my animals which is under the tank, depending on the wattage of the heat cord you may require a thermostat. Amyae will make much better use of any vertical space I.e. rocks and rock walls etc whereas scaly feet are generally terrestrial occasionally climbing up some grass tufts and things like that hence why I suggested them for the tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back