Scorpion Colony.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kosso

Reaction score
Im looking at attempting to make a Scorpion Community,i realise that not all scorpions will get along,and i also know this is,primarily a snake and reptile forum which is why im posting here,
I have seen it done in videos on youtube and it would also depend on the scorpion,what would you say would make th best scorpion to use in a colony,i know a little bit about the do`s and dont,but i need to know if there is a scorpion out there that would be better than another,any advice and help would be gratefully appreciated..

Rainforest scorps, Liocheles sp

Don't think I spelt right...

Thanks for the advice,i have started my colony and have got 6 scorpions,just have to remember to make sure they are well fed,i will from time to time post here to let others know how its working out,hopefully there wont be any cannibalism and they work out fine,hoping they will eventually breed..............

Thanks for the advice,i have started my colony and have got 6 scorpions,just have to remember to make sure they are well fed,i will from time to time post here to let others know how its working out,hopefully there wont be any cannibalism and they work out fine,hoping they will eventually breed..............
Good, looking forward to it. Just a few notes,
-If these are rainforest scorps or even black rocks, they are unlikely to cannibalise. They aren't known for that, and I've seen many wild ones under rocks within a one meter area of eachother, even living alongside other sp.
-How big is you enclosure? Just asking because if you did end up with a pregnant female, the stress of other males competing for her and finding a burrow or hide could cause her to eat her own young. Even other scorps may take a chance for an easy meal of a few babies. Make sure they have plenty of room to have their own area if need be. They are largely bulletproof, but stress can quickly bring down even the healthiest of these guys.

Hope you have success,
Herpo

Cercophonius squama also work well with a comunal setup. I have had succes with Isometrus melanodactylus in small groups of three or so (haven't tried with larger numbers). The bonus with that species is they are really colourful and surface active!

Also @Herpo the genus changed to Hormurus sp. Liocheles still exsits as a genus but the only species native to Australia is
Liocheles australasiae. All other species are found over seas in places like Maylasia.

Cercophonius squama also work well with a comunal setup. I have had succes with Isometrus melanodactylus in small groups of three or so (haven't tried with larger numbers). The bonus with that species is they are really colourful and surface active!

Also @Herpo the genus changed to Hormurus sp. Liocheles still exsits as a genus but the only species native to Australia is
Liocheles australasiae. All other species are found over seas in places like Maylasia.

Thank s for that Crazynut, I didn't know. I miss the invert hobby, but it just didn't resonate with me as well as reptiles...still love mantid's tho!

Same. I had 100+ inverst at one time but I can't remember jack - been too long. I remember almost everything abouts scorps though lol

Off topic but are peppermint stick insects in captivity? Saw a wild one a couple of days ago and it was so beautiful!

Yeh they are. Gorgeous stick insects. Very unique. Only problem is they feed exclusivly on plants within the Pandanus grnus. Many of which grow really big. In colder climates it can also be a pain since oandanus don't take to the cold very well. Not difficult plants to get a hold of but since they don't like the cold and the stick insects chew through pretty quick it can be a pain but it is possible.

They are amazing! But they can be quite fragile in terms of care, and their pandanus exclusive diet means they can be tricky to feed, and pricey. From memory, they might also need heat. Regardless, they are fascinating, and I hope to see one soon.

Yeah I saw one near Myall Beach at Cape Tribulation, very pretty animal but the shots are out of focus. Will post some trip photos in a couple of days perhaps, though a lot of shots were out of focus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back