Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snake_freak

Reaction score
Some pics from our scorpioning/mid-winter herping trip to the Flinders ranges last week.

A few pics of the landscape
63dd02b6.jpg

fb19e817.jpg

9f06180f.jpg

First night at camp:
cd2041a4.jpg

L to R - Jen (the scorpion chick), Sarah (undergrad. volunteer from Adelaide Uni), Me and Greg (Jens and my supervisor at Flinders Uni).

Some first-night finds:
c7022642.jpg

Second (?) instar Urodacus elongatus

7910289e.jpg

Heteronotia Binoei

8c02bf22.jpg

Female Urodacus elongatus

251a36f4.jpg

BIG centipedes were pretty common

ef373c84.jpg

Me with a large female Urodacus elongatus

590dbe08.jpg

Underwoodisaurus milii

Some pics whilst out helping with field work:

f15180c3.jpg

Some of the convoy - The tracks through the ranges were hectic and definitely only accessible by 4WD.

0be2cc25.jpg

46929d0c.jpg

Loads of 'roos around.

fcd824d0.jpg

Patch of Green-hooded orchids (Pterostylis sp. ???)

626dc671.jpg

Pterostylis Orchid

644e2c9b.jpg

Emu

f8d3c7a8.jpg

Aprasia pseudopulchella

1527f440.jpg

Ctenotus sp.

ab12c8dd.jpg

Me showing Greg's son a skink

1d023f5f.jpg

Rosella

c7149cda.jpg

Kaushik with a Delma molleri

4b1bc3e1.jpg

Female Urodacus elongatus

3cd7224f.jpg

Male Urodacus elongatus

35805235.jpg

Male Urodacus elongatus

b440589f.jpg

Heternotia binoei

9bdaf4e9.jpg

Hiking down into the gorge to do some transects (which were ever so kindly located on steep cliffs in dense prickly acacia scrub - Ouch!). L to R - Sarah, Kaushik and Graham (parks volunteer).

07e58e71.jpg

99945397.jpg

Nice moss rocks

6a056963.jpg

Fern surrounded by moss on a cliff.

167c51d8.jpg

I just liked the way this dead tree looked.

79fcd96c.jpg

030f2f6d.jpg

01b29fac.jpg

19b0434a.jpg

A couple of Tawny Dragons (Ctenophorus decresii)

314e4de4.jpg

4f617bef.jpg

85a4f122.jpg

Ctenotus sp.

9f38a27c.jpg

Cercophonius sp. possibley kershawi ??? Pschotic little scorpions that aren't afraid to have a go.

f986fef7.jpg

Habitat were the above animals were found.

952eded5.jpg

Sunset

ff8a4d35.jpg

Urodacus elongatus under UV

4be0d6fb.jpg

Not sure poss. Streambank Froglet (Crinia riparia)?

0b21fe6f.jpg

463e3439.jpg

Prime Urodacus elongatus habitat

59254fd6.jpg

ce060315.jpg

06c927bb.jpg

80a51996.jpg

Heternotia binoei

d415283d.jpg

Not sure about this one.

Great report! Thanks for including all the habitat shots along with the animals. I can't get over all the reptiles that you found at this time of the year. Were they active or under cover?

The last pic looks like one of the Gehyra sp. I don't know which ones are found in the Flinders but G. variegata seems to be about everywhere, just like Heteronotia binoei. Your Bynoes certainly look different to those that I have seen.

What sort of study are you doing on the scorpions?

Regards,
David

Great pics, thanks for sharing.
Why was the Rosella on the ground?

Thanks for the tour, very interesting.
Great pics allround,
Cheers
Adam.

Jen is doing the study on the ecology of the flinders ranges scorps. I was just tagging along to look for herps.

My research is looking at the effects of dorsal colour on heat flux in Morelia spilota, Tiliqua scincoides and a number of Elapid species (A. antarcticus, P. nuchalis, O. microlepidotus & N. scutatus. The affects of body size and body posture on thermal biology will also be investigated. Where possible, I am trying to include albino and melanistic morphs in order to explore the extreme ends of dorsal reflectance (colour) in a given species.

My study aims to investigate the hypotheses that:
·Colour morph affects the heating and cooling rates of M. spilota, T. scincoides and a number of Australian elapid snakes.
·Seasonal colour variation affects the heating and cooling rates of Australian elapid snakes.
·Body size and body posture affect the heating and cooling rates between the various colour morphs.

All the herps were found whilst flipping rocks for the scorpions.

Thanks for the species id on the Gehyra:)

The rosella was feeding on some seeds on the weedy looking little plants.

Great photos, i too love shots of dead trees in mountains as they are vantage points for Raptors surveying their territory. A Black Shouldered Kite sure would love a couple of those Skinks and geckos;)

I just had a look through "A Complete Guide to Reptiles of Australia" and I think that the large skink was probably an Eastern Striped Skink (Ctenotus robustus).

Regards,
David

Great shots, the elongatus are a quite attractive, looks like they are darker with more orange/red than the forum i keep. Also the pterostylis look like Linguella, recently separated from Pterostylis, looks like L. nana or a species in the nana complex

I recognise all those interesting animals....oh, and Greg too...LOL.
Hope the ecology work goes well....will be interesting to see what is found.

Did you stay at the Melrose caravan park?
i go there once every year, its an awesome place. Oh yeah, nice finds and you have got yourself some great photos.

also those tawny dragons are very nice, love the earthy red color, quite different to my little guys

Brilliant pictures :) Looks like you had a great field trip :) Thanks for sharing :)

Looks like a lot of fun.
What time of the year did you do this?
What area were you in?

Looks like fun. I was planning on doing something like that for my RP next year.

I have seen the poster for the reults of this up in the Flinders Bio building. This would have been an awesome trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back