Self Injecting of Snake venom.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
sooo this is what happens when reptile lovers go overboard?

47 years old and looks 30. People bad mouthing him don't look 17 younger then what they are.

Jealousy?

You'd think after 20 years he would have spent a few minutes researching what snake venom does but i guess not. His constant shaking worries me as well. I do think he has some good points about the benefits of venom, but i think that should be researched and concluded in a lab by professionals. I think he is using it as some kind of drug rather than a cure, i cant remember him saying what, if anything, he was trying to cure.

You'd think after 20 years he would have spent a few minutes researching what snake venom does but i guess not. His constant shaking worries me as well. I do think he has some good points about the benefits of venom, but i think that should be researched and concluded in a lab by professionals. I think he is using it as some kind of drug rather than a cure, i cant remember him saying what, if anything, he was trying to cure.

I think his heart is in the right place, just his mind is elsewhere. He has had plenty of time to look into a biology degree and even approach the science community. Although I don't live in America and from what I have heard I don't think getting into a University is as simple as applying. He did mention in his video that he would like some professionals to help him out. I'd rather not judge him for his lack of skills, for all I know he could have had some horrible instances in his life that led him to be unable to study. It would be nice to see something good come of this though, not encourage the uneducated to start jacking up on snake venom.... Which is a concern of mine when I watched this.

Just had a rethink about this bloke...Blatent Idiocracy........sry but it is
bash.gif
bash.gif
bash.gif
Na_Na_Na_Na.gif
lol.gif

Yeah, you can't bad mouth him for doing what he does. he is only harming himself and he takes full responsibility for the out comes which is more that a lot of people I know.
But..... he's not a very intimidating boxer and his skating ambitions outweigh his ability, but he is hell on wheels when it comes to injecting venom!

The thing is, he can get all he desires without self harm. And with no set goals to what he is doing, it becomes meaningless. He really does need a university or some research lab to take him on, so that some good can come out of what he does, I hope this does happen, but then I guess they would have liability issues.

Yeah, you can't bad mouth him for doing what he does. he is only harming himself and he takes full responsibility for the out comes which is more that a lot of people I know.
But..... he's not a very intimidating boxer and his skating ambitions outweigh his ability, but he is hell on wheels when it comes to injecting venom!

The thing is, he can get all he desires without self harm. And with no set goals to what he is doing, it becomes meaningless. He really does need a university or some research lab to take him on, so that some good can come out of what he does, I hope this does happen, but then I guess they would have liability issues.

Surely you think he would be able to sign some kind of waiver, or a Stat Dec in order for a University or Lab to help him on the right path. I don't know I don't live in America and never have. Would be a pretty awesome thought though waking up one morning with a terrible migraine, I will just add a pinch of cobra venom to my water and BAM headache gone ;) :D :) or just heading down to milk the cows dear, and while I'm at it, I'll just pop into the Viper nursery and give them a good ol milking too :p (All said in jest might I add, just incase someone takes what I am saying as a literal posting of how I expect this to turn out)

Surely you think he would be able to sign some kind of waiver, or a Stat Dec in order for a University or Lab to help him on the right path. I don't know I don't live in America and never have. Would be a pretty awesome thought though waking up one morning with a terrible migraine, I will just add a pinch of cobra venom to my water and BAM headache gone ;) :D :) or just heading down to milk the cows dear, and while I'm at it, I'll just pop into the Viper nursery and give them a good ol milking too :p (All said in jest might I add, just incase someone takes what I am saying as a literal posting of how I expect this to turn out)

I wouldn't expect any university or lab to take this guy on.... Breach of ethics and a huge liability. Any organisation would be stupid to conduct research in this way. They would be shut down quick smart.

I had to put a research proposal before an ethics commitee in my last year of uni (while I was still just a student). All research is very tightly regulated.

Oh sniper, three pages and I thought it was mostly on topic. That's not bad going. :D You are too tough on us ;) lol

I wouldn't expect any university or lab to take this guy on.... Breach of ethics and a huge liability. Any organisation would be stupid to conduct research in this way. They would be shut down quick smart.

I had to put a research proposal before an ethics commitee in my last year of uni (while I was still just a student). All research is very tightly regulated.

I think the intended "All said in jest" was to imply I wasn't being literal in my comment. Just clarifying that... I am sure he has some place in our big wide world, just as all the other people on this planet have their place. He's not injecting children or holding up banks - he's boxing poorly and skating through traffic, let him be.

Pioneers will always be considered a little crazy, however even that term does not quite fit this situation. Injecting venom, snake or otherwise, is nothing new. In western culture it is not common, but possibly a lot more common that a lot of us would believe. So many among humankind are prejudiced, however is some cultures what this person is doing would not be considered so strange.

Does what he is doing have any impact on the science related to potential uses of venom, its difficult to say. Like almost all things media, I am sure that there is a whole lot more to that story that was cut from the final production to portray a certain view. Should that film generate a interest from a suitably qualified person and inspire them to investigate and study alternative uses from the venom from snakes, then in that light I certainly think what he is doing would certainly impact scientific studies in a positive way. Before seeing that, did we even think injecting potent venom from deadly reptiles without the use of anti-venom even possible? Is it possible that research down this path could lead to vaccination type injections for people in high risk of snake bite? The fact this discussion is even taking place for me means that what this individual is doing will have a impact, however small, on research into this field.

There is significant evidence in scientific circles that support limited exposure over long term to substances that would normally cause significant reactions from the human body can in fact reduce the severity and often time eliminate the reaction all together. If nothing else, this man is direct evidence that this is possible. Although his approach is archaic compared to the modern approach to research and science, human guinea pigs were common place is the not so distant past, and many of the biggest leaps forward in modern western science have often been accidental discoveries by people often thought of as under qualified or crazy.

What his guy is doing is certainly something out of the normal, but just because it is not socially acceptable, doesn't give us the right to pass judgement on his choices. The one thing I find that I disagree with is that should he make another mistake, he could potentially take the place and the resources in a medical institution in place of a victim of a accidental snake bite. This however is common place with people who choose to smoke, drink, use drugs, no matter how aware of the potential risks they are, so while I disagree, I would be a hypocrite to judge him based on that.

Aside from the potential to inspire research in the field, from a objective point of view, I believe his greatest worth to the scientific community would be donating his body to science after his death so some detailed studies can be carried out on his corpse.

Kind Regards

Wing_Nut

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back