Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
This Australian Snakes forum is for serious discussions pertinent to specific species, their husbandry requirements and their behaviors only. It also offers folks the opportunity to share pictures of their animals and setups. As such, any further threads along the lines of, "What type of snake should I get?", "What do I name my Snake?" and similar threads will no longer be welcome in this forum.

If it is still believed that there is a need for such threads, please post them in the Chit Chat forum where others can choose to assist with these decisions.

Good. People need to learn to think for themselves.

Don't know which species you want? Do some more research and figure it out yourself.

Don't know what to name your pet? Well don't name it then. It's not like a snake is going to come whenever it is called.

Irrespective of where it is relegated to, the “What type of snake should I get?” question I consider important to address. I realise it is a perennial question and regular forumites get jack of it but it still needs to be answered. Even if all that is done is to direct the person enquiring to a previous thread on this topic. Someone new to the hobby deserves assistance from experienced keepers to ensure they get started on the right footing. Otherwise they may be entirely dependent on the advice from a pet shop or a backyard breeder, both of which have more than their fair share of unscrupulous operators.

Clearly, the above question and the questions about what shall I name my snake are not even in the same ball park. One is quintessential to ensuring that a beginning keeper has a positive experience, while the other is totally trivial in that it will have zero bearing on keeping success whether it is addressed or not.

Blue

And we would all apreciate it if you put on your sensible shoes as well.

I think it is a good thing to have a serious discussion as long as there can be discussion without posts being deleted. Obviously certain inflammatory and ridiculous posts need to be deleted but sometimes a discussion will start at one point and then natural progression of the discussion can sometimes make comments off the original post topic and these comments don't deserve to be deleted.

I agree to a certain extent. What snake should I get is understandable for a complete beginner where I understand this forum tend to be top of the search bar when you google anything to do with snake in Australia. And most the time a post a link to doc rock's road testing pythons and recommend 'keeping and breeding pythons' edited by mike swan. Or if I can I write about my own personal experience.

But recently there seems to be a trend where people are I already have species xxx what should I get next or help me choose between xxx and yyy for my next python. It is this sort of thing that I personally find annoying clogging up the forum home.

Maybe that would be better if it was put in general reptile discussion or maybe if people asked for some owner experiences on their choosen species rather than in a question designed for the forum to make the decision for them.

I agree to a certain extent. What snake should I get is understandable for a complete beginner where I understand this forum tend to be top of the search bar when you google anything to do with snake in Australia. And most the time a post a link to doc rock's road testing pythons and recommend 'keeping and breeding pythons' edited by mike swan. Or if I can I write about my own personal experience.

But recently there seems to be a trend where people are I already have species xxx what should I get next or help me choose between xxx and yyy for my next python. It is this sort of thing that I personally find annoying clogging up the forum home.

Maybe that would be better if it was put in general reptile discussion or maybe if people asked for some owner experiences on their choosen species rather than in a question designed for the forum to make the decision for them.
Doc Rock links are being deleted lately as non sponsor links as they too are in my opinion a good starting point for new herpers.

Simon and Diane Stones links are still a valuable source of information, why delete them? he was one of very few who helped get this hobby/industry to get to where it has got. there is a wealth of info that is still great for beginners and even for the more experienced hobbyist. S.X.R. were the bomb for many years.

Simon and Diane Stones links are still a valuable source of information, why delete them? he was one of very few who helped get this hobby/industry to get to where it has got. there is a wealth of info that is still great for beginners and even for the more experienced hobbyist. S.X.R. were the bomb for many years.

They would likely be deleted as they have little commercial value to the forum owners.

I think it's important to remember also that stupid questions come part and parcel with a successful forum. It's the constant enquiry, new posts and varied (often incorrect) insights and debates that make this forum so diverse and interesting. At the end of the day, new people discovering and actively joining the hobby is what's guaranteeing the success of this forum. If it becomes a tight-knit bunch of people with 4000 posts each who scorn the newbies and are over zealous in moderating threads it will be the death of the forum especially with other ways of connecting people popping up such as Facebook groups or specialty smartphone apps (those which exist for sports clubs or golfers come to mind). I think for the health of the forum in the long term, it's important to remember these points, because at the end of the day, a dead forum is of little use to anyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a very thin line regarding this thread... Let's hope we find a happy medium

I don think it's a big deal, it's not as though the mods are saying these topics are not allowed on the forum. Just that they are placed in a different section.

I think the "what type of snake do I get" question is fair enough. I am about to get my first snake and asked for people's opinions on the 2 types I was deciding between. I had done research but actually wanted hear thoughts from actual owners.

The naming questions I completely agree with though.

serious discussions pertinent to specific species, their husbandry requirements and their behaviors only is too restrictive a boundary. I believe that it never hurts to ask a question and there would be many serious questions that would not fit the highlighted description. Relocate general chit chat generated by people who are just posting threads to spark up conversation but please don't over-regulate the site as it detracts from its original purpose. People need to understand that questions by newbies that seem repetitive are often genuine requests for help which is what this site is about.

It's not over regulated. It's about posting in the appropriate section.
Nice work SniperCap. You always have my full support.

The statement was This Australian Snakes forum is for serious discussions pertinent to specific species, their husbandry requirements and their behaviors only. This would imply that all sections would be inappropriate by its wording although I believe that is not what was meant. I am assuming that what Snipercap is saying is that this description would apply to general discussion as well as some others but I believe that its too narrow a scope and that questions like what snake should I buy coming from a newbie would fit general discussion.

At the risk of sounding defensive, I'll try elaborate on the meaning of the initial post by addressing the below. If it fails to clarify anything, please feel free to PM me.

I think the "what type of snake do I get" question is fair enough. I am about to get my first snake and asked for people's opinions on the 2 types I was deciding between. I had done research but actually wanted hear thoughts from actual owners.

The naming questions I completely agree with though.

I see no issue with your thread. You clearly gave 2 options that you were looking at, where you are located and why you are looking at those species which showed you had obviously taken the time to do prior research into the topic. Not only does this prove that you know what you are asking and why, those with some knowledge on the subject are more likely to share their thoughts and experiences because of it.

The issue lies in the ,"I decided I wanted a snake, what must I get?". From prior post history, this only seems to raise comments on spoon feeding and requests for further information and once these are answered, those with the knowledge to help have glanced at the initial post and moved onto another thread.

serious discussions pertinent to specific species, their husbandry requirements and their behaviors only is too restrictive a boundary. I believe that it never hurts to ask a question and there would be many serious questions that would not fit the highlighted description. Relocate general chit chat generated by people who are just posting threads to spark up conversation but please don't over-regulate the site as it detracts from its original purpose. People need to understand that questions by newbies that seem repetitive are often genuine requests for help which is what this site is about.

Questions from newbies are most welcome and personally I have seen an increase in members who have been around a few years start offering their opinions after not posting for a number of years. There is a fine line though between posting the same thread, "Show me your BHP" etc, when there is a decent thread or previous threads already which would have shown up in a 10 second search.

We would prefer moving threads to General reptile rather than removing them outright as you never know if that thread may assist someone else in future.

I think you have summed up most my intention in your second post. Some posts should be posted in the correct section rather than not be posted.

Thanks mate, that's the system we are aiming for and I fully appreciate your support. "What should I call my snake" is no more relevant to Australian Snakes as if there was a thread posted in the same section called, "Have a look at my racing bike".

In a nutshell, it's not about over policing the site as threads are generally dealt with on a case by case basis, it's more about ensuring that those who are serious about Australian Snakes and Lizards are able to browse a forum dedicated to them. There are other forum sections dedicated to those other threads outside of those boundaries and one of this sticky threads purpose is to hopefully get folks to have a think about where they are posting their thread rather than stop them posting.

As mentioned, this post is not in self defense, there is no point in that as everyone has a different opinion. It's hopefully to clarify the how and why this thread is stickied here.

Stu

Your a hard man Snowman ,i want to know whether to get a stimpsons python Vs coastal carpet and dont whether to call it stimpywimper ,Hisser or algenon your help will be greatly appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back