Set up for Freshwater Crocodiles

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sainter_Dad

Reaction score
My son is about to set up a tank for a freshwater crocodile. He was looking at pumps over the weekend, but I have a spare Davey XS250HB spa pump that has never been used. This pump also acts as a heater for the water.

Has anyone had any experience in setting up a pond/tank for a freshie with a spa bath pump?
Are they capable of longer term running?
Would we just be better of getting a different type of pump, and if so which?

Thanking you in advance.
Sainter DadPump.jpg

Welcome to the forum.
It definitely looks like a good idea with the combined heating. I am not sure if the pumps are designed to cope with constant running though. I think your best bet would be to call Davey - Australia on 1300 232 839. They would be able to advise you on the life of the pump when used constantly.
Make sure you stick around and make a thread with the tank build including photos.

Welcome to the forum.
It definitely looks like a good idea with the combined heating. I am not sure if the pumps are designed to cope with constant running though. I think your best bet would be to call Davey - Australia on 1300 232 839. They would be able to advise you on the life of the pump when used constantly.
Make sure you stick around and make a thread with the tank build including photos.

Thanks Scutellatus (as well as Imported_tuartara and Foozil for their good luck wishes)

I rang Davey and their response was "That product has not been tested for that application" so I asked if it could be run constantly for 8 hours - their response was "That product has not been tested for that application".

I shall definitely post photos of the finished product.

Maybe a spa installer may be able to give you a better idea. Do you know if it is a commercial pump or domestic. Commercial pumps used in high-rise building spas would have to run for at least 8hrs a day if not more.

Maybe a spa installer may be able to give you a better idea. Do you know if it is a commercial pump or domestic. Commercial pumps used in high-rise building spas would have to run for at least 8hrs a day if not more.

It is a domestic pump (unfortunately)

Hey mate.. first off outside of water movement what is the reason you want to run a pump for long time? You would be better off running a external pump that could turn over 2000ltr of water per hour. Any major online pet supplies could help you.. when I had mine I never had them in high flow water tanks....every now and then I would give them a swirling affect with the garden hose to A:stir up the debris on the bottom of their tanks and B: just a basic stimulant for them some thing different ..
They are ambush predators and love the murky waters..

* so wish I kept photos of them and the massive enclourse I built for my salty..

Good luck mate and yeah some pics also as crocs are my fav reptile

Instagram: murph_BTK

Hey mate.. first off outside of water movement what is the reason you want to run a pump for long time? You would be better off running a external pump that could turn over 2000ltr of water per hour. Any major online pet supplies could help you.. when I had mine I never had them in high flow water tanks....every now and then I would give them a swirling affect with the garden hose to A:stir up the debris on the bottom of their tanks and B: just a basic stimulant for them some thing different ..
They are ambush predators and love the murky waters..

* so wish I kept photos of them and the massive enclourse I built for my salty..

Good luck mate and yeah some pics also as crocs are my fav reptile

Did you not have filtration Murph?
I think the idea behind it was the combined pump and heater and also to save coin. You would need the pump to run constantly to clean their mess, I know I wouldn't be happy sitting in soiled water, I don't think they would be either.

Did you not have filtration Murph?
I think the idea behind it was the combined pump and heater and also to save coin. You would need the pump to run constantly to clean their mess, I know I wouldn't be happy sitting in soiled water, I don't think they would be either.
I did have filters running I used under gravel filters and also the external canister filters (which did the bulk of the work) I am not too clued up on the spa pump my line of thinking if would be too powerful (?)

Looks nice, are there any of the smaller freshwater crocs available legally yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back