Setting up heat in an 8 bank cabinet

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacorin

Reaction score
Hi guys n gals,
like heading suggests,i'm trying to work out how to set up heating in my 8 bank,i thought i'd do it using heatcord but not sure of the way to go about it.
Am i better off using light globes?? or is there a way to heatcord it all??? would the height of each cabinet determine how long the cord should be??

The cabinet size overall is 2mHx1.8mWx0.5mD individual cabinets are 0.87mWx0.5mDx0.5mH

thx for any suggestions

Shane

I don’t think you’d find a cord long enough to do all eight of them and it seems like it’d be a bit of a headache to do even using a couple of cords.
It’s not impossible if you’re set on it though. You’d neeed a couple of small holes in each enclosure to thread the cord into then zig zag whatever length you want in each. From your dimensions I’m guessing it’s four rows and two columns? So you would mirror the two columns and just have the hot spots all towards the middle. On rough calculation you could probably use four 25W cords and have one per row or two 50W cords and do four enclosures with each.

To be honest, I’d personally look at heat panels though. You could get away with four 40W panels in that set up. I did something similar with a four bay enclosure and used two of them. Each panel creates a basking spot on the floor of one enclosure and a radiated basking spot in the one below.

If it is 4 high and 2 wide you could use 4 cords and split each cord between the levels. This way you could have 4 different heats set through 4 thermostats.

The problem with bank enclosures using other heating methods is the build up of heat (top being the warmest normally). Is your room heated to provide a low temp?

Rick

I don’t think you’d find a cord long enough to do all eight of them and it seems like it’d be a bit of a headache to do even using a couple of cords.
It’s not impossible if you’re set on it though. You’d neeed a couple of small holes in each enclosure to thread the cord into then zig zag whatever length you want in each. From your dimensions I’m guessing it’s four rows and two columns? So you would mirror the two columns and just have the hot spots all towards the middle. On rough calculation you could probably use four 25W cords and have one per row or two 50W cords and do four enclosures with each.

To be honest, I’d personally look at heat panels though. You could get away with four 40W panels in that set up. I did something similar with a four bay enclosure and used two of them. Each panel creates a basking spot on the floor of one enclosure and a radiated basking spot in the one below.

Sorry to hijack the thread. Sax do you provide supplementary heating in the enclosures on top of your bay or just the belly heat from the panel below?

Sorry to hijack the thread. Sax do you provide supplementary heating in the enclosures on top of your bay or just the belly heat from the panel below?

Just belly heat. It probably doesn't matter but I'm strategic about what type of snake goes in which so the more terrestrial ones are in the ones with belly heat and the semi-arboreal get the basking shelf ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back