• Check out the new Feedback and suggestions forum. This adds the ability to add ideas for the site and upvote/downvote them. It would be great to hear from you all in how we can boost site activity and who would like to assist with some exciting ideas from Rob and I.

Setting up Reptile Terrarium

Colin41

I am brand new to keeping a reptile and I am soon going to buy a Stimson's Python, more than likely an adult snake. I have a Reptile One terrarium 90 x 60 x 45cms. I am getting things ready for my python and have a dual sensor thermometer and also an infrared thermometer. There are so many differing suggestions as to what the heating/lighting to use. I plan to have a UVB light set up over the top of the terrarium (not inside), and also a heat lamp.
I am just not sure about either. Firstly, do I need to have an underneath heat pad and a heat lamp, or just one or the other, and if so, which should I get?
As for lighting, as my terrarium is 60cms tall. which UVB wattage? am I best off getting so that I am providing sufficient UVB.
I am also getting a dual thermostat to operate the heater at the correct temp. and the light.
Lastly, apart from the snake and food. Is there anything else that I should get

Attachments

• Terrarium.jpg
    Terrarium.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 3

cagey

Donator
Donator
I would recommend getting a copy of "Keeping and Breeding AUSTRALIAN PHTHONS' Editor Mike Swan, and reading through it a couple of times. It contains very high quality information and should give you the answer to most questions you have.

reptilesforlife

Not so new Member
You will only need either a heat lamp ot heat mat, not both. There is a big controversy on which to use, but they both work fine so it’s up to you