Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tuppyandjess

Not so new Member
Reaction score
We have considerable discussion going about the identity of a snake that has been hanging aound my house for a few days. Last night it came inside, which didn't please me, so he was put in a bag & delivered to a local snake expert. Now I have people telling me all sorts of stories about snakes interbreeding. I won't tell you what we think it is - so as not to infuluence anyone - but I will tell you the things that have caused a bit of confussion - namely - the snake was fairly quiet & not angry or aggressive, even when poked & picked up. In real life it also has a head that is a bit more square, or broader, than it apears in the photos. He's a bit over a metre long I guess - we didn't try & make him lie still enough to measure :)
So what sort of snake do we have here guys?

Attachments

• Snake cropped.jpg
    Snake cropped.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 626
  • Snake.jpg
    Snake.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 493
  • Snake 3.jpg
    Snake 3.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 493
Sorry the photos aren't too great ... it was dark, so they are taken with a flash ... & I was trying to keep myself & 2 dogs out of his way while I was taking them.

Tiger snake? And OOhh..I most certainly would not be playing with it....

Definitely a Rough Scaled Snake.

Head shape, colour and pattern with clear photographs of a snake I am very familiar with leave no doubt about the species.

Last edited:
If i caught a snake and gave it to a snake expert i would have asked him, but that's just me.

At first I thought Tiger but then had a good closer look at it and it looks like a RSS (Rough Scaled Snake) to me, I too would not be playing with it, even though they are my favourite Elapid (Along with RBB of course.)

bk 201 .. I did ask him. As I stated in my post I wanted to hear you guys opinions before I disclosed what he said it was :)
Carnelian ... sorry ... I put that information in my introduction post ... this was my first post ... I got a bit confused :/
I'm an hour inland from Nambucca Heads, NSW ... about an hour & 45 minutes south west of Coffs Harbour :)

Well come on tell us what he said it was. We've told you what it actually is now. And it's most definitely a Rough Scaled.

Oh and btw Rough Scales are extremely abundant in that area, especially around water bodies.

Yeah ... he said it was a rough scale :)
But my friend said the snake guy mentioned some story about them interbreeding with carpet snakes? I'm not sure if my friend is telling me that because he feels silly for trying to convince me it was a baby python the other night when he let it go in the garden next to the back door! He said the snake guy remarked on its carpet snake like head ... & to be truthful I have to add that it didn't look quite like the ones I used to get in the house when I lived up at Tabulam (which is on the Clarence River). This one did have a slightly bigger head & a slenderish neck ... & it wasn't darty like the ones I'm used to. It was remarkably calm given it was caught & held by the tail to be photographed & put in a chaff bag poor thing.

Last edited:
Snake catchers nightmare as roughies have the ability to twist their head 180° very quickly even if your holding its neck. makes fingers an easy target. So I've been told. Never handled one myself

Well come on tell us what he said it was. We've told you what it actually is now. And it's most definitely a Rough Scaled.

Oh and btw Rough Scales are extremely abundant in that area, especially around water bodies.

ditto, you've been extremely lucky so far. Even with a hook they can be unpredictable. and a bite could put you into intesive care.

We had a flood here recently & have water in a wet land not far from the house. The creek is flowing too, so there is plenty of water & plenty of tucker :)

So do snakes interbreed? And is this snake a hybrid?

Idiot with a snake

I don't touch snakes - ever.
Except for Sophie, the NPWS mascot. I have patted her :)

Attachments

• Idiot with a snake.jpg
    Idiot with a snake.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 226
So a rough scale is incapable of interbreeding with a carpet snake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back