settle-in period

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

G.C.Dragons

Reaction score
Hey team - need some advice:

I recently aquired a new adult male beardie - 1.5 years 300g, GREAT condition with an awsome nature. Paired him with one of my females and they hit it off straight away... only problem is he is not eating...

I have worked with many species of animals as a zookeeper for the poast 7 years (mainly large mammals) so i firgured a few things were happening here
1) he isnt quite settled in yet - getting used to his new surroundings - bit stressed and doesnt wanna eat
2) Im assuming he hasnt been with a female before so is 'pre-occupied' with sex

I have separated him into his own enclosure - great heat, water, constant supply of veges and meal worms and occassonal crickets i have been offering (which was reccomended by his previous owner who described him as a 'guts' :) ) but still nothing. I have also put up a sheet so he cant see out (unfortunatly he can see the female across the room and still head-bobs)

so question - Do I leave him alone and wait it out - or leave him with the female (who really likes him) and wait it out... Is he now more stressed because he cant get with the female...???

is there any way you can block the female from his vision? might settle him down a bit. my pairs go through phases of dominance ( always kept beardies together) but never enough for me to ever see them refuse food. if they have mated successfully my female usually turns into the dominant one, the male just stays out of her for a while.

how long since he ate?

lol ahhh typos - gotta love em!
His enclosure is blocked up with a black sheet so he cant see out. Since Saturday (so 5days) he has only eaten 6 mealworms and 3 silkworms. He has dropped 4.0grams (down to 291g)

oops, didnt even notice my typo,lol......was supposed to say, stays out of her way, haha

if he has eaten that, i wouldnt worry........just leave him to settle and should be a guts again pretty soon.

Beardies love yellow flowers
Esp dandelions
Might get him going again any time he goes off meat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back