sexing file snakes + pics

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alumba

Reaction score
Can any one help me sex my file snake what is the best way to do it. can u probe them or is it tail length ect..

cheers alumba

Given the super flabbiness, I would be hesitant to let anyone but a pro probe them. Someone that has sexed 'fura's before and has comparison experience. You have approximately ten years before sex becomes an issue with your 'fura as it takes about that long to mature.

Mortality rates in captivity are high, not because these beauties are difficult to keep, but I think more due to stress, loss of interest and aquaria accidents. That's a nice little 'fura you have there. Nicely chunky and no visible scarring. I would be concentrating more on learning to keep it alive over the next few years than it's sex.

:)

thanks mate.. he is 1 year old only another 7 or so to go. this little guy has been from 1 end of australia to the other with me he dont stress to much and eats heaps about 5 fish a week i have a mate up north is pair are maiting now want to get some of him vbut dont want to double up sex's. thanks for the advice

cheers Alumba

Great to hear you have had him a year. You obviously know what it's all about then. :) (And here is me trying to tell you. :p ) So many don't last that long I tend to get a little overprotective of them. :(

How did you get involved in keeping a 'fura and what have you found works best for yours ?

'fura, short for Arafura Filesnake, acrochordus arafurae. :D

Sorry, that's my slang slipping :p

thats ok ... had to look on the web to find out what a file snake was as it was ... just trying to learn my snakes .... not sure if I will get the sci names down like most people on here though .. but Im trying ... thanks

Thanks for the replies he/she normally lives in my fish tank full of water I just took him out to get a better pic of him/her since I don’t have a light in the tank. they r a lovely animal im looking to get some more as soon as my mates to furas finish mating and give birth that’s if they do have a successful mating
Cheers alumba

how long can they last out of water like that? they are amazing animals.

A long time, they only die when they either over heat or dehydrate, which would take atleast a day i think.

They live sort of out of water sometimes in the wild. in mud sort of.

Ricko, on land the 'fura is surprisingly mobile and will grudgingly move out of a billabong in search of another if the conditions aren't good or to their liking.

I found Loch on my bedroom floor one morning, he had managed to negotiate what I thought was a 'fura proof lid, across the lounge, down the hall and into my bedroom, where I found him in the morning, curled up alongside my slippers. The traverse included polished wooden floors, carpet and a long strand woollen flokarti rug. I was extremely impressed.

I don't know how long they can last out of water, I would imagine if they can find a damp or humid spot to shelter, it would be be quite a long time.

waruikazi, if you found a 'fura 'living' in mud, it would be because of special circumstances, for example, drought where the water courses are drying up and the 'fura is desperately seeking moisture, in any form, to survive.

yes my fura got out the other day. For two days it was missing intill the misses found it under a blanket in the loung room and this is in temptures of about 7 to 10 degrees. 1 day later after putting him back in his tank he /she ate 3 gold fish

nice...these have been on the 'must have' list for a while...and I have already got the aquarium set up (thanks to some dodgy darwinite!)... any one who wants to make a quick sale of a file snake has got a buyer here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back