sexing gipsland water dragons

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

haydenvic

Not so new Member
Reaction score
i have a young gippsland water dragon a would like to get a eastern water dragon but need to no if its possible to find out their sex so dont end up with 2 males. Can anyone help me in sexing them the one i have is under a year old and about 20cm long including tail

Very hard to sex at that age and size some will say they can
but wont be 100% correct. They all look like females when
they are young and develep the male color and features as they
get older. Probably not a good thing to mix gippys and easterns
anyway.

thats why i was trying to find out the sex of mine as i would love to get a mate for it and mine isnt the best to handle have heard the gippys can be like that thats why im interested in a eastern
I think you'll find gippies come around to handling better than easterns. I have an adult eastern girl and she freaks if she even thinks I am going to touch her but my gippy babies are quite easy to pick up, they don't like it much but they are only tiny yet.

If there from Moe, the females will breed at an early age and be in mockies! Good luck champ!

Worth reading some captive husbandry books, there is plenty of info in them. Just look for hemipenal bulges. And I really wouldn't mix easterns with gippslands, keep one or the other, or both in seperate enclosures.

Last edited:
Worth reading some captive husbandry books, there is plenty of info in them. Just look for hemipenal bulges. And I really wouldn't mix easterns with gippslands, keep one or the other, or both in seperate enclosures.
thanks for your help ill look into it i think ill look into getting my gippy DNA sexed then work it out from there.

If there from Moe, the females will breed at an early age and be in mockies! Good luck champ!

not sure were mine came from as i bought it from a reptile shop. thanks. i live in seaford so im guessing it would be local breeder were mine came from

not sure were mine came from as i bought it from a reptile shop. thanks. i live in seaford so im guessing it would be local breeder were mine came from
You possibly got yours from the same breeder as mine s I know he was going away and going to sell the ones he had let to a pet shop. He is in Seaford. As far as taming, I find a better way is to feed them from your fingers rather than trying to handle them a lot at first. That being said, my adult girl happily eats from my fingers but she won't let me handle her.

You possibly got yours from the same breeder as mine s I know he was going away and going to sell the ones he had let to a pet shop. He is in Seaford. As far as taming, I find a better way is to feed them from your fingers rather than trying to handle them a lot at first. That being said, my adult girl happily eats from my fingers but she won't let me handle her.
i bought mine from mentone aquarium. ive tried hand feeding mine all it does is run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back