Shark Cull WA

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Varanoidea

Reaction score
I don't want to start a flame war but what is everyone's thoughts on this. I can't believe the government would be so ignorant and cull sharks! Less than 10 people have been killed in the past two years, and how many people are killed over alcohol? Why don't they ban alcohol? :evil: Sometimes I am ashamed to be human.

100% agree. There is a few petitions going around that I think people should sign if they feel strongly about this but I'm not sure if I should post it here. I've had a warning today already. ;)

Poor sharkys :(

what at did they do to deserve this? I'm pretty much always ashamed of our species

Ita a disgrace and really annoys me

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I think sharks should be placed on the protected list , although I am not 100% sure about bull sharks and whether they can reach plague proportions in the river systems.

I think sharks should be placed on the protected list , although I am not 100% sure about bull sharks and whether they can reach plague proportions in the river systems.

That's what most of the huff is about, great whites are protected. They are just choosing to ignore their own laws.

That's what most of the huff is about, great whites are protected. They are just choosing to ignore their own laws.
There are a lot of other species other than those two. Is that what the intended cull target is ? Bull sharks? I think a lot of research needs to be done on the river systems before any decision is made. I know my local river is supposed to be plagued with bull sharks and I have caught and released quite a few but I have also water skied a lot in there without any problems.

The target is great whites which are on the protected list they want to put drum lines in 1km off shore to attract then catch the great whites and if 1 is seen within 300m of shore pro fisherman are going to get permission to catch and kill it resulting in great whites eventually becoming extinct

For those that are interested, there are protests going on tomorrow around Australia regarding this ridiculous cull. If you are able to make it to one of the below locations it will help show the Western Australian Government that there policies are not only ridiculous, but not supported by a large number of Australians. The current Liberal Government in Western Australia only makes policy based on gaining and maintaining the popular vote and do not consider effectiveness of the policy and scientific evidence when making these decisions. Help make them understand in the only way that they are able too.

RALLIES - Saturday January 4
  • Cottesloe Beach Perth WA 10am
  • Cable Beach Broome WA 10am
  • Back Beach Bunbury WA 10am
  • Glenelg Adelaide SA 12.30pm
  • St Kilda Melbourne SA 12.30pm
  • The Entrance Central Coast NSW 1pm
  • Main Beach Byron Bay NSW 1pm
  • Burleigh Heads Gold Coast QLD noon

Mike

There are a lot of other species other than those two. Is that what the intended cull target is ? Bull sharks? I think a lot of research needs to be done on the river systems before any decision is made. I know my local river is supposed to be plagued with bull sharks and I have caught and released quite a few but I have also water skied a lot in there without any problems.

Targets are bull sharks, tiger sharks and white sharkers over 3m. But of course, giant hooks don't discriminate.

Lol at least they aren't stringing a massive net up along the coast like they do here.

Lol at least they aren't stringing a massive net up along the coast like they do here.
I believe they are getting rid of nets in Queensland, not sure on the alternative though, bait stations.

They should leave them be altogether

Yep they should get rid of them, apparently the sharks swim up and down the nets eating all the animals that get caught in them so they are just attracting them.

What about the jellyfish nets up north? Does everyone feel the same about jellyfish as they do about sharks?

We are going into there home there not coming to ours they should be left be and there's a big stink up about them around this time every year because there are more attacks around this time of year which I believe is more jew to the fact there are more people in the water this time of year as it is summer not because there are more of them but because more of us chose to go into there home

Yep they should get rid of them, apparently the sharks swim up and down the nets eating all the animals that get caught in them so they are just attracting them.

What about the jellyfish nets up north? Does everyone feel the same about jellyfish as they do about sharks?

It's all.the same I think. We live on land, not the in the ocean, nets and the like are freaking ridiculous! I live on the coast 2mins from the south coast beaches and every time I put my foot in the water I'm fully aware its not my territory.
I love the beach as much as the next person but it belongs to marine life, not us.
THERE.SHOULD.BE.NO.NETS!!
we're an incredibly arrogant species on the whole.
End rant :)

Sent from my HTC Velocity 4G using Tapatalk

Are you for real sharks get caught and die in those stupid nets and they always find sharks inside of them so they shldn b there at all

I'm sorry miss jackson I am for real lol yea mate I wasn't saying they are a good thing and I know lots of sharks get caught in them but I was trying to say they are attracting sharks to the area they are trying to protect from sharks so the nets are pointless.

I'm from the gold coast and our country makes a fortune from tourism here so I think the government is protecting their income by making the beaches "safe" for tourists by using the nets, its easy to get upset at them for what they do but its a part of the world we live in.

Just like when we clear land to build houses or mine or build roads, you can drill the government for clearing the land and killing all those poor animals but its for the benifit of our country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back