sheai

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are both WA endemics. The Midline Knob-tailed Gecko (Nephrurus vertebralis) was described back in 1963. The Northern Knob-tailed Gecko (Nephrurus sheai) was described in 1994, so is relatively recent and not that well known. I have it on good authority that N. sheai would likely do better in captivity than N. amyae. As far as is known, maximum size is about 1.5 cm shy of amyae – so an impressive sized gecko when fully grown. If WA was not hamstrung by Department that wants to keep herpetology and herp keeping in the dark ages, we would have both critters on our list by now and the rest of Australia could share in the bounty. But that is another discussion for another thread.

Great to see someone appreciating what we have in this neck of the woods. Good on ya.

Blue

They are both WA endemics.

N.sheai also occurs in the western escarpment country of the NT.
I have it on good authority that N. sheai would likely do better in captivity than N. amyae.

Which makes it pretty confusing as to why they aren't popping up everywhere seeing as they are in captivity already and have been for some years. I don't know how the captive populations are going I don't know anyone that currently has them, but I do know someone that sold a number a few years back.

And if you check the current species list http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/resources/nature/CurrentSpeciesList.pdf for NSW they are definitely on it.

In terms of N.vertebralis though I totally agree with you. I have had little experience with them other than finding a few recently in WA, but they appeared rather common and I think not so much different to other Knobtails. I think they would do great in captivity, though they might have slightly different soil requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back