Shedding behaviour?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thetechnician

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Everyone's been a great help so far and an absolute blast to chat too! Got an inquiry... My little spottie has (in the past few days) been very timid and has been sitting in her hide (was a cut out tissue box) and hasn't come out exploring when i've opened her click-clack. Now today I took some "aggressive" action and removed her hide to see what was up - she is appearing a little milky (at least i think that's what it is - her color isn't as rich as it was when i got her a few weeks back, however i'm not seeing the milkyness in the eyes as everyone's described they should have) so after removing her hide, she started moving around a bit and i sprayed her with a little warm mist (just in case) and she became a little more active... I've also just "installed" a new hide for her - pics coming soon (as soon as i upload them from my camera) and she isn't poking around inside - instead she seems in a bit of a panic and appears a little edgier than usual (even before i put in the new hide).

Is this normal behavior for when they shed?

it sounds like she is coming up for a shed, my bhp hide away for a few days when they are due. Her colour will darken as she is approching a shed then her eyes will go milky then back to normal and then she will shed with in a fews days after that. i would put her original hide back untill she is finished and then place the new one in. just leave her be for a fews days.

just keep in mind that when their eyes go milky, they cant see very well so that will contribute to the edginess

her color hasn't gone darker, it's gone cloudier?.. when the cat leaves, i'll put in the original hide (if i can get her out of this one! lol)

Thanks for the tip i'll be keeping my eye on her closely :)

yeah, my bhp goes like as if its fading, lol sorry i meant to mean kinda faded sorta dull, not dark as in black lol

my spottie does the same thing.. her whole body takes on a cloudy appearence before her eyes go milky.. and she also tends to be a bit grumpier..

awesome :) i'll give it a few days and if she hasn't started to shed then i'll consider worrying :):):)

its fine. the eyes will get pretty milky then they will go clear and it will shed that day or the next.

Sounds alright to me.
As guys have said; keep an eye on her eyes to see if they go cloudy and then clear again. Her skin will feel more... Leathery, for the lack of a better word, as she prepares to shed (it's not really recommended to handle snakes in the shedding period, so keep it to a minimum, if at all). Spraying is good, as it helps keep the humidity levels up for a better shed. She may bathe in her water bowl more often to aid with shedding.
I read something online about making a shedding box for snakes. Having an opaque, plastic box, filling it with substrate that can hold moisture (coconut etc), and put that in with the other hides whilst shedding is taking place. If you have access to cork bark, break some up so she has something rough to rub against to help peel off the shedding skin :D

Thanks to everyone!!!

She did shed :) and now she is sexier than ever with a beautiful distinct darker coloration and is very happy and active again :) will be fed this weekend :D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back