Shell grit and Calgrit.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wally3218

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I’ve just set up a new turtle tank and have medium size pebbles as a substrate.
I was wanting to use calgrit as suggested but calgrit is difficult to source at the moment.
Can shell grit can be used instead of calgrit and can I add it to my pebbles or should I remove the pebbles first.

Hi, it's advisable that you do NOT use shell grit in the aquarium as a substrate as it it far too coarse and abrasive... it will cut your turtle's skin. If you can bag it in a stocking, you can add it to a tray inside a canister filter, that way it will still buffer the pH, GH and KH without being of any harm to your turtle/s.

Rocks, stones and pebbles or gravel have no place in a turtle aquarium. The ideal substrate is natural river sand mixed with calgrit. Decor should be assorted pieces of driftwood. :)

Bunnings play sand, (Beach sand) when viewed under a microscope reveals how sharp and abrasive it is, it is high in silica (quartz) which does not fracture easily and the grains are sharp and jagged edged.
13627187_1182085591823381_6773858099002771623_n.jpg
Natural river sand is a better option.

After covering the bottom of my 4ft turtle tank with calgrit, he kicks The calgrit up into small mounds that makes the water partly cloudy is this anything to worry about.

Latest posts

Back