Shingleback Foot issues

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snohara

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey folks,

i'm after some help. Recently I observed that one of my shingleback skinks had four swollen feet, so I took her from her outside pit with all the others (who are all doing fine) and put her in an inside enclosure with a simple newspaper substrate. Her outdoor enclosure has a red sand substrate, some which includes bricklayers sand, however all the top layer is nice round desert sand, but I did notice a lot of this stuck to her feet, which I bathed and cleaned. At the time, I noticed a small amount of redness on the underside of one of her feet. It looks sore, and open, although it is dry, and not weeping. Now all of her feet are showing the same redness and the area of redness is increasing. I've taken her to the reptile vet who did not know what it was, and is waiting a second opinion. However, I'm noticing it getting worse, and am wondering if anyone here might have any suggestions in the meantime. It's been about a year since her last shed, so I'm not concerned that it has anything to do with retaining dead skin, and even though her feet are swollen, it's the apparent ulceration that is really concerning me. She still has a healthy appetite, and is basking and acting as normal, although I believe she is walking a little wonky. I also suspect that she is gravid, about two months in, but I don't think that this should have anything to do with the problem. Being housed outside in Victoria, I don't believe there is much concern with humidity, and her inside enclosure has pretty close on zero humidity. Her indoor enclosure has a basking area around 32 degrees, and a cool end also. Her diet consists primarily of varied vegies, with a weekly protein serving, generally in the form of snails.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be very appreciative. I'm really concerned for the poor girl, and hate seeing the condition worsen, while I do nothing.

Regards,

Scott.

I don’t know what the problem is but it certainly seems like the lizard has developed some form of infection in the soles of the feet. Why, I have no idea and I am hesitant to attempt to link it to the time between sloughing. I would be putting it in half a centimetre deep 1:20 Betadine solution diluted with water, at around 30[SUP]o[/SUP]C for half an hour a couple of times a day, for up to a week and see if that has any beneficial effect. It is at least worth trying.

Blue

Awesome Blue. Thanks for the reply. I'll give it a shot and see how we go.

Hi Scott,

The reddening of the feet indicates an infection of some description. The red colour is caused by increased blood flow to the area (via dilated capillaries) to allow an increase in the number of white blood cells, and any antibodies produced, into the region.

Being present in all four feet it sounds more likely to be the result of a systemic infection rather than a more simple ectopic infection. The vet should have taken a blood sample to determine this. The Betadine bathing will soften any retained skin, if this should be the root cause. It will also sterilise any surface lesions and help prevent external infection getting into burst blisters.

For a systemic infection, the vet will organise a course of antibiotic injections, such as Fortum. It is likely that an ectopic antibiotic cream, such as Flamazine, will also be prescribed. In the meantime keep the shingleback on newspaper between baths so that nothing untoward enters the soles of the feet.

Good luck with it,
Blue

Wow, thanks Blue. very detailed and it makes sense. I really appreciate it. I'll hound my vet and get things moving.

Scott.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back