Shingleback needs to lose weight

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Emma0

Reaction score
one of my shinglebacks needs to lose weight. She is housed on her own. Any tips or tricks to do this? Do I simply feed her less? I want to make sure she gets what she needs though
Atm she gets fresh veggies daily (mostly green), fruit once per week, protein feed twice per week (dog food, crickets or silkworm).
Thanks!

Are you just curious and want to see her?
I know she is too fat because I just got her checked out by a reptile vet, and she said she needs to lose some weight. I just forgot to ask in the moment how I should do that

It's simple. Reptiles can go for ages without food. Their metabolism is a lot different to us starving mammals that need 3-5 feeds a day. Just give it some tough love for a while. Years ago we had to work on a pair of surrendered northern long-necked turtles that were fed 3 times a day by their owner and they were so obese that their tails weren't even visible and their shells looked like they were going to burst. We stuck them in a 3ft aquarium with an internal powerhead filter to keep them swimming continuously and never fed them for 6 months. They soon became a normal looking turtles again.

Obese turtles before tough love began.
20180508_142307.jpg
20180508_142525.jpg

Captive reptiles are commonly obese because of anthrompomorphism and because they simply don't have to work near as hard as their wild counterparts for a meal.

Ok cool thanks. Wow those are some massive turtles!! So glad They came into your hands you could correct that!!

Cut the dog food and reduce portion sizes. It can be useful to feed juveniles and females post-birthing but for an adult animal it’s a quick way to developing fatty liver disease.
Stick to protein sources lower in fat such as inverts.

Cut the dog food and reduce portion sizes. It can be useful to feed juveniles and females post-birthing but for an adult animal it’s a quick way to developing fatty liver disease.
Stick to protein sources lower in fat such as inverts.

Cool thanks, will do!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back