Shipping reptiles

Discussion in 'General Reptile Discussion' started by noahbarlow, Apr 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noahbarlow

noahbarlow New Member

hey everyone, first post on here i was just wondering how you guys go about freighting your reptiles within state and which company you do it through.
    thanks

2. dragonlover1

dragonlover1 Subscriber Subscriber

I just use good old Aussie Post

3. Wokka

Wokka Well-Known Member APS Veteran

I believe its illegal, and stupid,to send reptiles through the post .

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  4. Aussie_monitors

Aussie_monitors Not so new Member

Qantas freight, generally $75. Depending on how large the item(reptile) is.

5. Ramsayi

Ramsayi Very Well-Known Member APS Veteran

As well as irresponsible,cruel and high risk of death for the reptile.

6. kingofnobbys

kingofnobbys Suspended Banned

:O .... shocked that anyone who claims to care for reptiles would use the post to send them to customers..

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  7. westernrocky

westernrocky Active Member

Dogtainers are very good imo and very easy to get on with. WR

8. dragonlover1

it's not illegal , I get crickets and woodies through the post all the time , and I find that express post does a better job than some of the transport options available.I actually work in the transport industry and I know how some of these companies operate.
    I once sent a pygmy beardie to Goulburn,took 3 days from Liverpool ( only a 3 hour drive). Went to Wollongong,then Canberra and finally Goulburn. Aussie post gets there in 1 day.
    The containers are clearly marked and well packed.
    Also I only freight in this state,I wont freight interstate.
    I wish there was a better way but that's all there is unless someone wants to set up a reptile only delivery service.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2016
  9. Wokka

Wokka Well-Known Member APS Veteran

Crickets and Woodies are not reptiles . For the information of future readers, I have attached a link explaining that live animals are prohibited goods with Australia Post.https://auspost.com.au/media/documents/dangerous-prohibited-goods-packaging-post-guide.pdf

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2016
  10. dragonlover1

I am sincerely sorry,I will not sell to anyone who lives hundreds of kilometres away anymore.
    But if this rule is true, how do sellers of insects get away with it?

11. BredliFreak

BredliFreak Well-Known Member

Because we're speciesist :rolleyes::lol:

12. dragonlover1

which basically means we don't give a s@#$ about rules,we just make our own

13. BredliFreak

BredliFreak Well-Known Member

Yep, in the most hypocritical way possible! That's the government we know and hate!

14. kingofnobbys

from the document linked for further information : D10.1
    crickets, silkworms, mealworms, superworms, woodies, gents all considered harmless INSECTS.

There is a considerable difference between an insect and an animal such as reptile.

I doubt you'll stop shipping your "stock" to customers who have the $ and a licence to keep them.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  15. dragonlover1

You don't know me well enough to make that judgement Rob.
    My word is my bond!

16. briansworms

briansworms Power Seller Power Seller

I think some people are living in the dark ages. Since humans have been roaming the earth they gave been transporting live creatures. What is the difference in driving interstate to pick up a reptile or freighting it?
    There are people who take great care in preparation for shipping. What is the difference with putting a dog or cat in a tiny container for a couple of days?
    Some breeders of insects take no care in how they package their stock and then post. Insects stress like every other living creature. I do everything possible to reduce stress on the woodies l post. Their wellbeing is paramount to me. Same with some breeders who ship. You will always get the ****heads who don't care.
    For the record l would back Dragonlover1 anyday. His commitment to their wellbeing would be second to none.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  17. kingofnobbys

My limit (distance wize) when I've bought my lizards is if I have drive more than 1 hour each way it's a deal-breaker.

I wont travel more than that to collect a lizard I want to buy.

I wont ask for an animal to be shipped to me , judging how many couriers handle parcels it's obvious they couldn't care less what is inside the box, satchel or tube or if it's fragile (even if clearly labelled FRAGILE and KEEP THIS SIDE UP). No thanks ,I don't want to buy an animal and have it arrive severely injured or dead through rough handling , overheating and a victim of lack of care en-route.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  18. sebii

sebii Not so new Member

That may be a luxury afforded only to you lucky people that live in keeper dense areas, or in the concrete jungle. :) I do agree on the way couriers handle parcels though. Most same day services will fair better though, and I know that the Qantas Freight guys are careful with live animal crates, considering the boxes are actually handled a relatively small amount.

If anyone is using overnight freight to deliver live animals, they really need to visit a sorting centre for Australia Post or a major logistics compant like Toll. I worked for Toll for a time, and I was blown away. Satchels are the worst by far, they are essentially basketball'd into a giant crate.

19. briansworms

briansworms Power Seller Power Seller

I have posted hundreds of satchels the last couple of years and only a handful were damaged. They arrive with the woodies still alive and in good condition. I mark them live insects and please keep cool. Some of my customers have said that if their delivery driver is aware they are live insects they deliver them first. I always send Express.
    I did have one parcel dropped into a metal letter box in full sun and 40 deg heat. The customer was aware they were up for delivery that day and waited home with the front door open. I know there are some people who just don't care. Sadly there are probably more mistreated reptiles in the care of their owners who don't take the time to learn how to look after them than what gets mistreated in transit.

20. Bushfire

Bushfire Well-Known Member

Sending reptiles through the post will eventually get you in big trouble, you may of gotten away with it previously, in the present and maybe even in the future, but it's a russian roulette game sooner or later a sniffer dog will detect it(they are after all trained to detect organic odours). If you read the link provided above from Australia Post it is a federal offence to send them via Australia Post. I'm not 100% on the numbers of keepers that have faced that level of charge before but on the other hand the states do regularly pursue keepers for doing this once detected. It might also be timely that there is a minimum standard of labeling that the wildlife authorities in all states do require when transporting and if you follow it there is no way an Australian Post representative would accept the package.

There is other legal options for sending things within the state/s that don't subject the animals to such cruel practices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.