Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hadn't read the other thread but if you have nothing constructive to add to the thread why post?

I gave you the link to the thread all about this (in which I did post my thoughts along with many others). I would have thought that was very constructive. Sorry if it sounded harsh (didnt mean it to) and sorry you didnt find any use of the other thread.

You are clearly confusing distribution area with population density.

The land is cleared for agricultural farming.

How many wild womas have you seen? I've only seen one to date. Though lots of other pythons....
I've hunted a lot of areas so I get out more than most, I've chased camels in SA northern boundaries and came across quite a few just after dark on the roads as well as in Alice springs. I've caught heaps with the local aboriginal youth for bush tucker. In cunnumulla district I've seen them heaps and once while it was consuming an inland taipan. I believe they are becoming harder to find due to predation by dogs cats and pigs more than human trafficking. The other reason people don't find them is they don't travel far enough from civilisation. Civilisation kills reptiles due to the chemicals we use and the pets we keep in our yards.

Cool. Love to see some pictures. I'm into locale specific animals, so can never get enough pictures of wild ones :)

Dude it's like $15 a year for a license, if you can afford even one snake, you can afford the license. Also the license is a great way to put people off illegally capturing and selling the species you refer to as common and just because they are common, does not mean they are just another animal. The husbandry requirements of a bird, cat, dog, rat or any other common pet can not be compared to a reptile.

It will be a sad day if reptiles come off license. If anything, the licensing should be far more strict.

Dude it's like $15 a year for a license, if you can afford even one snake, you can afford the license. Also the license is a great way to put people off illegally capturing and selling the species you refer to as common and just because they are common, does not mean they are just another animal. The husbandry requirements of a bird, cat, dog, rat or any other common pet can not be compared to a reptile.

It will be a sad day if reptiles come off license. If anything, the licensing should be far more strict.
Like I said. $350 a year for a license to keep an olive python. ;)

Certain populations may be endangered but the wild population as a whole is to large and diverse to be affected by localised development. Womas are endangered in wa only SA still has large populations

Certain populations may be endangered but the wild population as a whole is to large and diverse to be affected by localised development. Womas are endangered in wa only SA still has large populations
It's possible that some of the endangered ones are actually sub species. Not saying they are, but happens enough. The WA wheat belt ones are very different looking. To me a qld bhp is different to a wa pilbara. So I think womas from different areas would be different too. That's why there is importance to me on the endangered areas.
I guess it's two different things. Are the womas endangered vs are populations of womas endangered?!

Like I said. $350 a year for a license to keep an olive python. ;)

I hope this isn't off topic, but why are womas and olives on advanced licenses everywhere with added restrictions to numbers, etc?

In QLD the recreational wildlife license covers the majority of reptiles, which is good and bad... I get to keep a woma as a newbie but bad because I could just as easily own a lace monitor (I did want one until I found someone selling one and he set me on the right path :) )

I agree with licensing, because people don't require licenses to keep run of the mill domestic pets and look at that farce :/

Yes....
I really want EVERY reptile on licence in Victoria
all the off licence ones .. blue tongues, marbled geckos, eastern long necked turtles and whites skinks (these need protection especially!) are very well sustained to poaching. About 85% of pet shops stock of these is straight from the wild ... And you only have to be a herper around here to see the effect of some greedy people does on natural habitat because they want some easy money

maybe keep the licenses but have an advanced license where people in the public are used to hold and breed the pure locality specific reptiles, so that these locality forms (possible sub species) don't disappear all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back