should i feed in enclosure or not ??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ncstarr

Reaction score
hi guys
Ive kept spiders and lizards for many years now but id not kept snakes since i was a kid so last year i got myself a carpet python shes about 6 or 7 foot or so now anyway before getting her when i was doing my research and scouring various msg forums id read that it was best to feed outside of the enclosure as it can cause problems with feeding responses whenever you open the enclosure which sounded reasonable when i first read it but the more time i spent reading i realised this theory more often than not got ridiculed or disputed so over the last 4 month ive just been feeding her in her enclosure and to be honest ive noticed a big difference especially if its nearing feeding day i ended up copping for a good old bite when she took my hand for a rat last month i tried feeding her abit more but i dont think thats the case she'd eat and eat and eat if i let her anyway its made me think is it just coincidence or could me feeding her in her enclosure caused her going straight into feeding mode asoon as i open her up ?

It depends on the animal. Some develop a strong feeding response and some don't, you just have to come up with a way to teach them when it is feeding time or not. Many people use a snake hook and either tap gently on the nose until the snake backs off or move the head away gently when they are in the strike pose. There are other ways, but the theory is to make the snake learn to differentiate between feeding time and when you want to take the snake out of the enclosure or clean or whatever.

As to feeding, I would be using long tweezers or something to separate myself from being able to be tagged if the feeding response is that aggressive.

I haven't personally removed any snakes to feed. I have always just fed in the enclosure, but that is just my preference.

I think it's all personal preference.

I have just always touched my 4 with a hook before getting out so they know it's not good, but I also use feeding tubs for feed days rather then inside the enclosure.
I've never had an issue.

I'm not sure how much it helps to take them out. I always do it, just because I think it might help. But while I can usually safely reach into my carpet python enclosure, I have learned through bitter experience that I can't do that with my olive.
You can generally tell by the snake's attitude whether it's in feeding mode. And I think olives are just about always in that mode.
I guess the other thing about taking them out is you can do things like change water, rearrange cage furniture, spot-clean, etc while the snake is feeding elsewhere.

6f5f4c10-46d4-461c-a1cb-a7d1d58aa755-jpeg.324397
This picture always sums it up, Feeding in the tub is so ... counter productive? You take the snake out (i guess a risk of getting bit because there would be a smell of a rodent somewhere)
You feed it, then pick it up again (again a risk of getting bit, or even risk of the snake regurgitating its food.. not good) just to put it back in the enclosure?

I have just always touched my 4 with a hook before getting out so they know it's not good

I do something similar, i will use my hook to get a good area of the snake to grab around halfway down their body, rather than sticking my hand in when the snake is unaware of whats happening, never been bit this way, but have been bit just opening the enclosure and putting my hand in

Personaly , I don't see any benefit in removing them from their enclosure to feed. I lightly tap on the lid several minutes before I offer food . Seems to work just fine.

At the risk of repeating what others have already said, I’ll try and put it into an overall perspective.
Snakes are clearly capable of learning to distinguish between when they are to be fed and when they are simply going to be picked up. In order to use this to train them, what is needed is that you:

1) provide clear differences (that snakes can pick up on) in what happens when you intend to feed them versus otherwise;

2) are consistent in doing so;

Snakes are remarkably sensitive to smells and will quickly learn to associate the smell of their food with being fed (i.e. an incidental cue). It is therefore important to avoid having any scent of their food on you, your clothing or your equipment when taking them out for non–feeding purposes.

Here are some potential cues that you can train your snake with:
· Use tongs or similar for feeding - no tongs then lets them know they are not about to be fed. Irrespective of this, it is a prudent safety practice when feeding sizeable pythons with strong feeding responses.
· If practical, try approaching the enclosure from a different side for each.
· Feed at a specific time of day and remove for cleaning or handling at other times.
· Perhaps gently tapping two or three times on the enclosure for one but not for the other.
· If you feed in the enclosure, you can use a snake hook or similar to help lift the mid-body to get a hand hold, and the snake will learn to associate the hook with nom-feeding.
· If you feed in a tub, then don’t put the snake in the feeding tub when you are not going to feed it.

Sometimes a snake will not want to be removed, for whatever reason. They usually let you know by their body posture. However, if this happens the majority of the time, known as being ‘cage defensive’, then this is likely a separate problem and requires its own strategy.

In summary, there are a few pros and cons for each, but they are related to what best suits the keeper, and not the snake. Either method, executed appropriately, will achieve exactly the same results.

I agree with bluetongue, it's better to have 2 separate approaches. 1 is feeding, tap and offer food.
...second is handling, touch with hook first and then pick up. By having 2 different procedures which the snake will recognize you will have no problems. I have no problems with my pythons using these simple procedures

Latest posts

Back