Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of all the snakes pictured, only a few have actually stated what they are. Sure they are called RPM/jags etc but what is it? Never a call on the actual cross.

How about you label your animals what they are ie jungle x diamond x MD or whatever, instead of just RPM or Jag? At least that way you will be keeping in line with your call of honest heritage, makes it easier for the average joe like me who couldn't give a toss about keeping up with all the genetic jargon.

Hi Graham, good call.. I honestly feel the pics posted in this thread and others with a brief abbreviation of what they are is just that.. an abbreviation.

I fullly support giving actual buyers of any of my animals the best information on the heritage as I can, and will be supplying a "pedigree" of the parents of any "rpm", morph etc and where possible even going back to the grandparents if I bred them. I would also encourage any buyers to continue with this informnation to anyone they sell offspring to so each snake has some sort of "identity" to guide people exactly what it is.

If we are going to go down the morph and hybrid path I feel as much disclosure as possible on the lineages is a step in the right direction.

That said.. its not only morph breeders guilty of not labeling animals correctly and many people just call animals (for example) a "diamond" when it may be an intergrade or something else involved. maybe specific labeling of all animals would be a step forward for the whole hobby in general. I feel theres room in the hobby for both morphs and pure lines and the sooner everyone works together in areas of labeling animals for what they are the better for everyone.

this is a cross between a (co-dominant) coastal rpm x albino darwin female and is what I call - rpm het for albino.

male first pic and female in second

Attachments

• male rpm het albino.jpg
    male rpm het albino.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 96
  • female rpm het albino.jpg
    female rpm het albino.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 101
Australian keepers will now have to deal with all the same problems we have in the US and Europe. I understand there is tremendous desire/demand for morphs , but there is a serious negative side to it as well.

The problem is that you will see huge demand for Jungle/jags, but nearly zero demand for the mutt siblings that hatch alongside with them. Your herp market will never bee the same.

Regardless of anyones views on the subject, the reality is that anyone in Oz who wants to purchase a pure carpet will have to much more careful in the future.

The issue of jags being pure coastals will be less important over time. The mutation started out in pure coastals, but very quickly became questionable. So its possible to have a pure coastal jag. But just because some pure coastal jags certainly do exist, does not mean that the founder stock of the RPM lineage was pure, which I would have no way of knowing, it is certainly possible they are pure coastals, so it would be unwise to assume they are not.

But what will it matter in 5 years anyway, when the focus is on hybridizing them anyway?

Nick

Well said.
It is scary but exciting time as all these new morfs com along.
People are creating some beautiful snakes and I love them but I hope there will be no consequences.

Absolutely STUNNING Steve and Colin..I totally agree 100% what you said Cement...Unfortunately some will not disclose what they actually are...

Last edited:
Hey Nico, he's a yearling and is a 50% jungle jag from the SXR line but bred by someone else (won't mention his name in case he doesn't want it out there).

Hey Nico, he's a yearling and is a 50% jungle jag from the SXR line but bred by someone else (won't mention his name in case he doesn't want it out there).
Either way, its a cracker for sure!!! Good to see you back, its been a couple of years hasn't it, or do I miss your posts...lol
Like the new GT Avatar or so it looks!!

Hey Scotto, good to cyber see you too.
Yeah I don't say much but still keen as on the herps.
Yep a GT there, been into the popper chuckin' lately. Great fun but very arm stretching on 130lb braid :)

Hey Scotto, good to cyber see you too.
Yeah I don't say much but still keen as on the herps.
Yep a GT there, been into the popper chuckin' lately. Great fun but very arm stretching on 130lb braid :)
Love throwing a popper here and there myself! Try throwing a fly mate.. that'll stretch ya...;)

Take care mate, great to see how that cracker grows!

How about you label your animals what they are ie jungle x diamond x MD or whatever, instead of just RPM or Jag? At least that way you will be keeping in line with your call of honest heritage, makes it easier for the average joe like me who couldn't give a toss about keeping up with all the genetic jargon.
My guy is a pure Coastal Carpet Python.

Thanks Jason.
I was just renewing my licence and had a look at the 2010 species list on the DECC website and there's a jag pictured at the top of it. It's a cracker too!

My guy is a pure Coastal Carpet Python.

here we go..... you cant prove they are pure coastal, Jan Eric tried to sell that idea, but then disappeared before he was supposed to write his tell all article... he founded the Jags from his lines. Seilling siblings produced by your Jag to a coastal, as being nothing more than pure coastal, would be misleading....

thankyou for your info CP.com.au.... So the debate over the origins of the morph need not come into the equation. They should sell well enough on their merits alone, i dont see the need for things to be debatably pure, they will be able to carve their own niche in the market for what they are.

i think the only person that would possibly have an idea on what the original jags were that came to Oz would be the smuggler. tracing back the time line and a bit of maths and it looks like they would most likely be either coastal or jungle jags.
i purchased mine as a coastal jag a couple years ago and the parents of that jag was "apparently" a coastal jag/coastal as well, with previous history being a mystery.
So if this is the case,if the original "Australian Jag/s" was a jungle jag that would make mine possibly a 88% coastal jag or if the original was coastal jag ,mine would possibly be 100% coastal jag.(i guess we will never find out unless the smuggler speaks up).So ,in theory, i'll be putting a coastal over my girl,so that would possibly make the bubs (at worst) 94% coastals.
i think that is pretty close going off the info i have recieved,but i doubt we will never know for sure,and before all the IPE's jump down my throat,notice i said "possibly" alot.
cheers
simon

Attachments

• gce1012.jpg
    gce1012.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 184
i think the only person that would possibly have an idea on what the original jags were that came to Oz would be the smuggler. tracing back the time line and a bit of maths and it looks like they would most likely be either coastal or jungle jags.
i purchased mine as a coastal jag a couple years ago and the parents of that jag was "apparently" a coastal jag/coastal as well, with previous history being a mystery.
So if this is the case,if the original "Australian Jag/s" was a jungle jag that would make mine possibly a 88% coastal jag or if the original was coastal jag ,mine would possibly be 100% coastal jag.(i guess we will never find out unless the smuggler speaks up).So ,in theory, i'll be putting a coastal over my girl,so that would possibly make the bubs (at worst) 94% coastals.
i think that is pretty close going off the info i have recieved,but i doubt we will never know for sure,and before all the IPE's jump down my throat,notice i said "possibly" alot.
cheers
simon
Thanks Simon. Just goes to show there can and is coastal RPM lines here.

Appreciate it.

Cameron

I can't wait to see some of this years breeding within Australia.
More PICS. please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back