Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've found Morethia boulengeri to be quite enjoyable to keep.

Attachments

• P7290010.JPG
    P7290010.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 100
  • P7290014.jpg
    P7290014.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 84
  • P7290018.JPG
    P7290018.JPG
    173.3 KB · Views: 81
I've found Morethia boulengeri to be quite enjoyable to keep.

They are really nice looking little critters.

How well do they tolerate interacting with you ? Are they tolerant of being touched and handled by you ?

They are really nice looking little critters.

How well do they tolerate interacting with you ? Are they tolerant of being touched and handled by you ?

They're reasonably interactive. If I put my hand in the enclosure, after a few minutes, they will begin running all over it. They are extremely active skinks that don't care if they're being stared at. Handling they do not like, they jump straight off at the first opportunity.

They look like they have tons of character, do you breed them with regularity? In general how are they kept? Sorry if this is to many questions.

Some E. depressa i bred last season.

Attachments

• E. depressa(gimp).jpg
    E. depressa(gimp).jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 116
This is when l decided that the water dish was a little too small. Any Yes l think he was checking out what the temp was

Attachments

• what temp is it.JPG
    what temp is it.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 87
They look like they have tons of character, do you breed them with regularity? In general how are they kept? Sorry if this is to many questions.

I only received them a few weeks ago so haven't had a chance to breed them. The breeder had a lot of success with them, females seem quite prolific. I keep them as described in Swan, a 2 foot tank with two-inches of sand and assorted rocks etc for them to bask on. They are very active, as I mentioned before, and don't stop moving. I have also placed a small box in the tank containing moist peat and sand. They sleep beneath the soil and are always 'swimming' in and out of it.

My wife had a couple of breakthroughs with Lizzy today.
Lizzy let her within an inch of her nose, and Lizzy made the first move BTW by approaching my wife very closely when she was reading quietly on the lounge of her own accord.
Lizzy accepted a dead cricket from my wife (wasn't hand fed or finger held- but was offered on a short piece of paper (my wife was scared Lizzy would bite her if she hand fed her, this despite my assuring her that Lizzy has only bitten me by accident twice, and each time it was just in excitement and keenness to take a mealworm or cricket from me and she's usually very dainty in how she takes the insect off me.

My wife was positively beaming she had such a big smile on her dial when Lizzy accepted the dead cricket off her. Lizzy was pretty pleased too, she loved the big cricket, she's been holding out for a couple of days for a cricket, been turning her nose up at live medium mealworms. She's spoilt !!

View attachment 215324

Attachments

• wife's big break thro with lizzy.jpg
    wife's big break thro with lizzy.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 81
  • wife's big break thro with lizzy2b.jpg
    wife's big break thro with lizzy2b.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
This is my resident alpha male EWS, I managed to get him accept some mealworms as treats the other day .... he's a bottomless pit when it comes to food, and since I was dropping the worms to him one at a time, he stayed close and would look up at me with that "give me another - gimme gimme gimme" stare
.Scrapper looking up at me to ask for another worm.jpg

He's not as friendly or tame as Lizzy. But the potential is there to eventually get him to trust me like Lizzy does. I've named him Scrapper.

He's been hanging around near my front patio and flower bed and the a/c compressor and keeping company with Lizzy for several weeks when she goes outside to do her lizardy things.. I believe he has been having romantic meetings with Lizzy.

I've not seen Lizzy's baby for several days since I scared it accidentially when I was adjusting the hide I made for it in the flowerbed. I'm hoping it's OK and is just keeping a low profile when I'm about. Bit of luck if I can regularly get Scrapper to take food treats from me and hang around near me when I'm on the patio or doing things around the flower bed, the baby will see this and maybe become less shy around me.
I've not hand fed Lizzy outside, only ever inside.

Last edited:
Are you worried that by making "scrapper" bigger than the other males you are endangering the other male lizards in the population. Maybe he will be the father of all the offspring in the area because he is being favoured and the other males will be out competed, and die a lonely childless death?

Are you worried that by making "scrapper" bigger than the other males you are endangering the other male lizards in the population. Maybe he will be the father of all the offspring in the area because he is being favoured and the other males will be out competed, and die a lonely childless death?

There are many skinks on my property.

Scrapper is by far biggest EWS resident here (and the most fearless and self assured - I've even seen him chase off one the neighbours dogs when it came sniffing about - very funny wish I had a videocamera), and he's probably the only alpha male EWS on my property. (Not sure about the one in my garage - he's pretty big too and very game and inquisitive too, he's probably got his own harem.)

He's outcompeting them naturally already and I think he's been living here for years. So no - not worried - it's not like I've been feeding him all the time or very often.

Just like Lizzy doesn't visit every day, she will be inside for several days and then not always interested in the food treats I offer, then she'll go AWOL for a while, and I'll spot her outside if it's sunny in the afternoon - she's a late sleeper..

She's in for some treats next time she comes inside, got some nice fat gutloaded live medium crickets that I've been fattening up for her for the last couple of days. Lucky Lizzy....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back