Show us your Agamids

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just had a look at this thread, and the fantastic animals shown here. Very impressive, and the captive animals of every single species are a credit to their keepers! Are there any breeders of pure Gippies out there who might have progeny from high-coloured parents available this season?

Jamie

If only water dragons were on the keeping list in WA.

Ha! I remember WA wildlife officers turning up proudly and angrily at the Armadale Reptile Centre with an exotic "iguana," a very exciting bust for them... only to be told that what they had confiscated was an Eastern Water Dragon. Quite laughable really.

Jamie

That was rather silly of them. Either way, iguanas and water dragons aren't permitted on a regular keeper's licence. I did see a male Gippsland Water Dragon at a reptile park and he was gorgeous. I would find myself wandering back to his enclosure, despite the many other beautiful reptiles on display.

That was rather silly of them. Either way, iguanas and water dragons aren't permitted on a regular keeper's licence. I did see a male Gippsland Water Dragon at a reptile park and he was gorgeous. I would find myself wandering back to his enclosure, despite the many other beautiful reptiles on display.

Yes, I agree with you. Since moving to NSW from WA 11 years ago, I've come to the conclusion that Water Dragons and Diamond Pythons, which are arguably among the most spectacular reptiles in the world, are regarded with indifference because they are so common, in collections and in the wild. Familiarity breeds indifference...

Jamie

You could also add the common Lace Monitor which is a spectacular animal and quite often found in private and public collections and also regarded by some people with indifference. They are very common down here on the Far South Coast of NSW. I counted 6 as roadkill between Pambula and Cann River on our way to Melbourne to spend Christmas with family. The biggest would have been around 5 to 5.5 feet long while the others were around 2.5 to 3.5 feet in length.

Also very common down here are GWD's which are pretty much everywhere there is a permanent watercourse and Diamond pythons are also quite common. I never get tired of either of them. I have Eulamprus quoyii by the hundreds in our front and back gardens. You can always tell when they are coming out brumation at the start of the season as the Kookaburras gather along the edge of the small stand of forest behind our property and swoop down and grab them for an easy meal. It is quite a sight watching the Kookaburras taking the catch back to a perch and then wacking it a couple of times against the bough of the tree stunning or killing the lizard before eating it. I mentioned E.quoyii because it is another species that I think most people regard with a degree of indifference largely because of its abundance and yet it is a really lovely little lizard.

Mark Hawker

Yes mark, I should have included Lacies - we get lots of them here on our property near Port Macquarie, about 30% of them Bell's phase or very strongly banded. I've had to put some tin around a couple of the trees with termite nests in them to stop the Lacies plundering the Kingfisher nests - we have 2 pairs of Sacreds arriving here every summer to nest in their family trees, and they used to lose a few babies to Lacies. Not now!

Jamie

Get lots of Lace Monitors around here in Bellingen too Jamie and a lot of those are Bells.

For those that may be wondering what the connection is with Lacies and termite nests in trees. It's pretty common along the NSW mid north coast for female Lacies to dig holes in termite mounds in trees to lay eggs and let the termites cover them so they are incubated at a constant 30 deg. She'll return to dig the hatchies out about 9 months later. Not saying there's anything wrong with protecting the Kingfishers of course Jamie, just informing those that aren't aware on what the female Lacies use the termite nests for. I hope you don't mind.

Love both EWDs and GWDs as well. Use to collect them at Kangaroo Valley & Fitzroy Falls west of Kiama on the NSW east coast when I was a kid.

Get plenty of absolutely spectacular looking male EWD in the valley. Some really beautiful ones in the lane that runs behind the main street of town.

Cheers,

George.

Water Dragons, Lace Monitors, Diamond Carpet Pythons, all beautiful to me. Very lucky to be able to keep and even see them in the wild.

Get lots of Lace Monitors around here in Bellingen too Jamie and a lot of those are Bells.

For those that may be wondering what the connection is with Lacies and termite nests in trees. It's pretty common along the NSW mid north coast for female Lacies to dig holes in termite mounds in trees to lay eggs and let the termites cover them so they are incubated at a constant 30 deg. She'll return to dig the hatchies out about 9 months later. Not saying there's anything wrong with protecting the Kingfishers of course Jamie, just informing those that aren't aware on what the female Lacies use the termite nests for. I hope you don't mind.

Love both EWDs and GWDs as well. Use to collect them at Kangaroo Valley & Fitzroy Falls west of Kiama on the NSW east coast when I was a kid.

Get plenty of absolutely spectacular looking male EWD in the valley. Some really beautiful ones in the lane that runs behind the main street of town.

Cheers,

George.

Hi George, thanks for the interesting response. I should have said that we have plenty of arboreal termite nests in eucalypts on our block, but the two in trees near the house each have a pair of Sacreds that nest in them every year, so they're the ones I've restricted the Lacies access to. Just as an aside, we've had visitors here in the past week, generating more rubbish than usual... I put a heap of stuff outside the kitchen door yesterday, prior to binning it for the tip, and a Lacie decided to go through it yesterday afternoon, leaving stuff strewn all over the verandah. Nice to have them around though.

The lane you mention George - is that the one that runs parallel to the river where the Youth Hostel is or used to be? We might come up to Bello in the next week or two for a bit of a wander around, and maybe lunch...

Jamie

The lane you mention George - is that the one that runs parallel to the river where the Youth Hostel is or used to be? We might come up to Bello in the next week or two for a bit of a wander around, and maybe lunch...

Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Yeah that's the lane and the Youth Hostel is still there.

I have to go up to the Tweed in the next week or so on a job that will probably take me a few days to get done but I'll PM you with my phone number so if you get to town just give us a call and if I'm about we might be able to catch up for a feed.

Cheers,

George.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back