Show us your dogs!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah! he's awesome! those are actually puppy dog eyes. haha I see he's very spoilt with the treats and toys! haha. Do you have a picture of him fully grown now? What is he crossed with?

thats him fully grown such a baby hey! umm on his registration forms it says bull masteiff.

American Bulldog pup Coupe
n1286381751_19888_793.jpg

but now he's older and cooler ;)
n1286381751_19753_1364.jpg

You need to be careful of this. Hybrid vigor in dogs is an easily perpetuated myth. They are as prone to disease and genetic issue as purebreds. Some crosses moreso that others (pekapoos!!! a short faced dog with long hair growing at all angles into its face! C'mon!)
The promotion of crossbreeds has only fueled the continued breeding of 'designer dogs'. If you havent noticed, the vast majority of dogs going through any pound or rescue are crossbreeds.

If you are going to go through a rescue, do it for the right reasons and not a dangerous myth. Rescuing a dog is a noble thing to do, it does not perpetuate any of the profit making breeding facilities (as pet shops and the occasional direct from breeder do) and they come desexed, vaccinated and normally with a personality profile (if its a decent rescue :) )

There is no difference health wise between a well bred cross breed dog and a well bred purebred, just as there are no differences between the poorly bred dog of either. If you buy from a breeder that health tests their animals, you get a guarantee you are safeguarded from those breed ailments. There are even those that breed crossbreeds who test their animals (although VERY few, as crossbreeding is normally a money making venture).

I would always recommend the rescue route first though :D Even the odd purebred is available. If you are keen on a dog for a purpose then always make sure you find a breeder that health tests all their breeding animals. Not just "vet checks"... as this is what a lot of underhanded breeders use to lull inexperienced buyers into a false sense of security. Make sure you view certificates as well and that there is a guarantee attached to their claims that they have on a signed piece of paper! :) I was confident enough of the health of my animals they all came with a replacement guarantee in case of any inherited diseases. They would get to keep their animal and would go to the top of my waiting list for another puppy free of charge and vet care through my veterinarian.

I'd have to agree with this, personally :) Pretty much any dog breed has a multitude of problems associated with the breed- for many larger breeds hip dysplasia is a big problem, dobermans have a fairly high incidence of von willebrands disease, brachycephalic breeds (squashed face breeds like bulldogs, boxers, pugs) have a wide assortment of congenital problems which they often refer to as brachycephalic airway syndrome- really small nares/nostrils, a long soft palate that restricts their breathing, a narrow trachea and eventually, everted saccules which make breathing difficult. The narrow nares, soft palate and saccules can all be corrected surgically, but of course it costs! Breeds with floppy, very hairy ears are prone to ear infections.

Its all a bit of a gamble, and there is the potential for any breed to have problems! The benefit of a cross-breed dog is that you have a combination of genes, so hopefully the dog is less likely to recieve all the genes that lead to these hereditary problems. There is still no certainty that you'll have a 'problem free' dog though.

If you were going to get a pure bred dog, get one off a breeder that seems to care about their animals, and not just winning shows. And if you get a breed prone to hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia etc. then make sure that the parents of the pups was tested for these :)

Sorry, I got a bit carried away :)

Some photos I found from this time last year....

Adorable Lexi - wolfhound X (7 weeks)
dogs007.jpg

Regal Kaiser - mastiff X (3 years)
dogs008.jpg

And today...

dogs009.jpg

dogs011.jpg

Who'd have thought that adorable puppy would turn into an enormous mongrel? :lol:;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back