Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree Racks are practical for Young Snakes, however I disagree they are adequate for older/larger pythons,. particularly if the tubs dont have height to allow room for perches etc.

QUOTE=scottyo998;1749217]Carpets are only semi arboreal, so they dont need it, and the only some take the option to use them. Absolutely none of my carpets use any form of perch that they have at the moment, they all stick to ground level explore. However the majority of exercise my snakes get is from taking them out and letting them roam or holding them, other than that they are quite happy to just sit in their warm spots. Besides, i am not the only one who does it, and there are other species that i can see being kept in tubs that many would consider more arboreal than carpets, such as spotteds and stimsons. Snakes do perfectly well in rack systems, that is why they are used[/QUOTE

Carpets are only semi arboreal, so they dont need it, and the only some take the option to use them. Absolutely none of my carpets use any form of perch that they have at the moment, they all stick to ground level explore. However the majority of exercise my snakes get is from taking them out and letting them roam or holding them, other than that they are quite happy to just sit in their warm spots. Besides, i am not the only one who does it, and there are other species that i can see being kept in tubs that many would consider more arboreal than carpets, such as spotteds and stimsons. Snakes do perfectly well in rack systems, that is why they are used

Scotty, I am very surprised to read that NONE of your Carpets perch? we keep many Pythons including Several Carpet Pythons & they ALL perch at some time (Ours seem to perch about 80% of the time)
I think they should at least be given the option!?

Of course pythons will survive in Racks, but are they happy?
These days it seems that this is not taken into account, it is moreso about the breeder trying to fit as many snakes as possible into a small space.
Pythons need to be able to stretch & perch when they want to not when someone decides to pull them out of their box.

I dont have anything against racks for smaller/younger snakes, but the enclosure should suit the python your keeping,.
Keeping Grown Carpets, Olives etc in them is not the right thing to do IMO.

You could survive in 1 small 4x4 room for your whole life,. but would you want to? I dont think so!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all part of ' I must have as many species of everything that I possibly can regardless of my own circumstances ' that seems to be popular these days.

Fantastic Wokka. Do you heat those? If so how? Can't see heat cords or anything.

Cheers,
Allan

No i dont heat them I heat the room as i only use racks for younger snakes which need heat 24/7. My baby room is 3.6 meters square and can confortably hold 500 plus juvenile snakes heated by a $70 heater with inbuilt thermostat. After that they go into "Trueblue" type cages with a hot end and a cold end seperated by a baffle wall.

Carpets are only semi arboreal, so they dont need it, and the only some take the option to use them. Absolutely none of my carpets use any form of perch that they have at the moment, they all stick to ground level explore. However the majority of exercise my snakes get is from taking them out and letting them roam or holding them, other than that they are quite happy to just sit in their warm spots. Besides, i am not the only one who does it, and there are other species that i can see being kept in tubs that many would consider more arboreal than carpets, such as spotteds and stimsons. Snakes do perfectly well in rack systems, that is why they are used

Scottyo is it possible that the only warm spot for your carpet pythons to sit is on the floor and this is the reason they do not use a perch? I have dealt a few large snakes now that lack muscle tone from a life of sitting in a coiled position in a small tub and don't get enough exercise like climbing etc and why would a stimsons or spotted be classed as being more arboreal than a carpet python?

They wouldn't. Haa! What a load.

Of course not. They are about as arboreal as womas. In the wild, they may climb up little off the ground to catch the first or last bit of the sun and that's about it. I dare to say that wild carpets are not as arboreal as captive ones. Maybe it's because if they're confined to small area (average size cage), they explore every bit of the cage more often and also, many keepers create basking spots for them up high.
If you put thick enough branches or some sort of a shelf into a taipan enclosure, eastern taipans would climb too, even clumsy king browns.

I agree with WRat. I keep hatchlings in racks and they are a good size with a bit of height and perches and they use them. Almost every night they come out of their hide and perch, especially when hungry.
Anteresia are not very arboreal, and adult carpets need room and height. All my adult carpets, bredli, diamonds, coastal, RSP and darwins are hardly ever off their branches. The only carpet I have that doesn't have a penchant for climbing is a large female diamond I bought last year 6year old and never climbed in her life. She was fed live guinea pigs and was fat, she had a good size cage 2400 x 600 x 600 but no branches. When I got her I fed her an adult rabbit for lean energy and haven't fed her now for over 5 months. She is now looking a picture of health and is beginning to climb more and developing good strong muscle tone.

I will never forget a photo I was shown of a blokes woma that he was trying to breed at 18mths old. The poor thing looked like a death adder. Over fed under excercised and guess what ? he had no luck breeding, and it was a woma.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back