Show us your RATLETS

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cold-B-Hearts

why not?
ill start it off my first litter of pups they "came out" tonight.

581574_432597363436027_100000573021440_90168096_1268330757_n.jpg

148771_432597006769396_100000573021440_90168094_2126943827_n.jpg

Black recessive wedge blazed berkshires.
IMG_4287.jpg

Fuzzy mismarked black eyed whites (dalmatians)
IMG_4278-1.jpg

Same ones just a few days older
IMG_4283.jpg

IMG_4244.jpg

Blues
IMG_4243.jpg

IMG_4241.jpg

Patchwork rex silk. (Some of these will be naked forever hehe)
IMG_4285.jpg

Last edited:
Ingie,
You're making me want one other than for reptile food :( some adorable patterns there...and as a Dalmatian keeper, the dally-ish ones make me weak!
Love the two in the first photo. Are there any line bred rats that stay rounder like babies, vs the pointed heads of adults? Just curious

My favourite rat has a big chunky boof head like a baby :p So does another line of rats that I am working on called 'velour' with a really thick ringlet type coat. Very cute.

This is the dad of the black crimped looking ones in the last photo haha. He is a patchwork double rex silk and is named Fugly for a reason :p
Screenshot2012-05-05at103346PM.png

same the first photo is great, i swear i gotta make the trip and pick up some BEW and blues from you :D

Zoro
IMG_3970.jpg

Triforce rat
IMG_3974.jpg

Dalmatian
IMG_4011.jpg

Variegated lightning blaze
IMG_3977.jpg

Wedge berk
IMG_4005.jpg

Blue
IMG_3994.jpg

Fawn split cap wedge
IMG_4014.jpg

Mink rex variegated wedge and mink rex lightening blaze
Screenshot2012-03-26at92427PM.png

Baby on the left a bit older
IMG_4291.jpg

Mink dalmatian odd eyed white (one black eye one ruby red eye)
IMG_4298.jpg

Last edited:
lovely :D in a few days ill post another when you can start to see there paterns :D

Some of my lil ratters
cbabc5d2-2586-142a.jpg
cbabc5d2-25c2-9589.jpg

Don't no what they are can some one help me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is a bit hard to see in those shots but looks like you have some minks and cinnamons in there. I can't tell if the pail ones are all white or not. It depends what colour their eyes are and also if they have any white face marks or anything :)

Ingie,
You're making me want one other than for reptile food :( some adorable patterns there...and as a Dalmatian keeper, the dally-ish ones make me weak!
Love the two in the first photo. Are there any line bred rats that stay rounder like babies, vs the pointed heads of adults? Just curious

i own a dalmation too =)... have owned three in my life time. first one was called snoopy (dont ask she was a free to good home) fantastic dog, loved her, she got put down at 16 after she just got too old. poor thing...

i also had a dalamation called "Dodie Smith" (original author of 101 dalmations) but unfortunatley she was bitten by some sort of snake (ironic i know) and passed away, we still have our other dally, scarlet, she runs the house now. but we still love her. dally's are excellent dogs!!! I recommend them.

rats are awesome pets. I have 6, they are very entertaining. Mine aren't nearly as pretty as some of these guys though, but I do have a lovely blue berkshire girl. It's a shame, she's stunning to look at, but scared of life, apparently she's always been like that.

ahhh i want another rat!!! i loveeee my little girl steve :) shes the best out of all my animals lol

umm the better the patten on the rat/mice
you get a better patten on your snake

I have actually been missing keeping pet ratters for a while... Those are some amazing looking dalmations and love the berkshire wedges ingie!

There are some cooler colours about that when I bred... Although I won some colour awards back in the day.

I have never kept reps and rats at the same time, and I am seriously tragic and couldn't feed breed to save myself, I always got pre-killed for my reps.

How many of you guys keep pet rats and feed breed as well? Am I the only one conflicted about it? I just couldn't look at a live rat and knock it for food...

You know how with dog and cat food you can buy different types of food for different breeds and needs?
I could do the same for snake food haha.

Velour: For the snake who needs some extra roughage in his diet.
Patchwork (the hairless ones): for green tree pythons.
Silk: For snakes needing to be force fed and have the food slide right down.
Berk wedge blaze: For the snake who needs a flashing sign to find the head.

Hahahaha :D

I can't afford to be conflicted about it Sassquatch :p Lots of hungry mouths to feed. I started breeding purely for the reptiles but later became really interested in the genetics behind producing all these colours, patterns and coat types, and how the genes interact and have different modes of inheritance. It is fun to be able to produce really cool looking ones and provide some friendly, healthy pets for people along the way. Rat people like to collect the different ones like Pokemon cards :p

Some of the rats I breed are quite rare or have taken me a long time to selectively breed. It took me over a year of selective inbreeding many many rats to produce dalmation rats like the ones in the photos haha. I saw a photo of some produce by another 'feeder breeder' and decided I wanted to make my own instead of trying to buy them. I started with plain white rats and got a tiny bit more black each generation. A lot of people who breed rats strictly for pets never get anywhere in terms of producing cool patterns, colours and coat types. Being able to breed hundreds at a time means I end up with all the cool stuff and it sure keeps my reptiles happy :p

If I have to breed a kazllion rats for my reptiles anyway, I may as well have a bit of fun with it! The cooler they look the better they taste? :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back