Show us your RATLETS

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are after some interesting rats to add to your mob the pet store at Aspley is great! A friend picked me up a rex girl, a vari berk girl and a headspot lad :) they don't charge the increased prices that a lot of places do for the 'different' types.

One of mine had 19..... most first time mothers have between 7-12 & the second time (+) mothers tend to have between 12-15

Like I have said before, I generally spread any over 12 among other mothers (with similar size babies) so there is less chance of a runt. I actually had one mother die soon after giving birth.... I put her babies with another mother who had just weened 2 days earlier..... she just began lactating again took on the newborn (day old) pinkies:)

I am guessing there was something wrong with my pup if the other two mothers rejeced her :/

Also my other mum has had 7 Pups :) 5 M, 2 F

Mum 1 - 8 Pups - 7M, 1 had to get euthenised unfortunately, rest are very healthy, All have colours - Fuzzies. 17/06
Mum 2 - 8 Pups - 4F 4M, All happy and healthy, All are starting to get colours through or are just white - Fuzzies. 19/06
Mum 3 - 5 Pups - 2F 3M, All suckling, Velvets. 24/06
Mum 4 - 7 Pups - 2F 5M, All look like Premies :/ But all are suckling, stomach belt looks good etc, Pinkies. 30/06

I'm not sure BH ^

I have never had a rat reject a live baby? Maybe the mother and the one you tried to place the baby with, knew there was someting terminal wrong with that particular baby? The mothers might have a sense that the baby is not going to make it?

fc6abca2.jpg

b16e8ec1.jpg

8d86946c.jpg

716d9a16.jpg

some blues and Bews :D these are my first blues and 2 have headspots :D

i want some blues and is any of u rat breeders breeding supper mice dont no what the breed is called but there big white mice that have lots of babies if any one can help that would be good im down near wagga but if i can pick them up or get them hear some how that would be good thanks every one

I'm not sure BH ^

I have never had a rat reject a live baby? Maybe the mother and the one you tried to place the baby with, knew there was someting terminal wrong with that particular baby? The mothers might have a sense that the baby is not going to make it?

Thats what I was thinking as well. As I said it was sad :(

Unbelievable :rolleyes: last night after posting I have never had a rejected baby, I found one baby, about 9 days old, in a front corner all by itself looking all forlorn :( and only about 2/3rd the size of the others. It did have a milk belt tho? so it was obviously getting some milk.

I looked it over and is seemed ok, so I put it in with a mum with only 6 3 day olds and she is looking after it, maybe it will catch up.Its mother has got 12-13 left now.

I think that when the babies are born, they get like a number (like at the deli at coles) and number 13 onwards dont have a claim on a teet.... so they fight for every feed or fall behind?

I'll let you know how it goes

I hd a litter of 10 Bew the female wouldn't produce milk. I didn't notice because she was ontop of the babies trying. Unfortunately none of the babies survived :(

Captain - Sorry to hear about your pup, hope it gets better :)
One of my oldest pups have gone missing???? I couldnt believe it, yesterday there was 7, woke up to see how they are all going (now 2 weeks old) to see if they have opened their eyes.... yep one is completely missing, tore the whole bloody box apart? Now thinking she ate it :/
No possible way for it to escape....

Liamb sorry to hear about that :( That would of been hard.

i had 4 rats origonally but then they bred and i ended up with 33 then i bought a dimond now i have none :)

shredded papper, newspaper, sawdust chips and chavings from local petshops or coconut fibre stuff you get in hanging baskets from gardening or DIY shops

Last edited:
I would say the mother prolly ate it, unfortunately :(

I tried breeding an unknown mother I was given, who I think is really old... too old to breed.... I think she ate all her babies. I knew she was close to popping her babies... then there was a bit of blood around.... but no babies..... then I found one dead pinkie, which I removed. I kept watching for her to have more so I could rescue them.... but havent seen any more alive or dead :(

Was worth trying, she is very nice looking, a fawn self rex.... but I think she is either really old or she has lost her marbles :lol: She keeps biting onto her tail and running around and around in circles..... then stops, looks over her other shoulder and grabs it from that side and around and around she goes :shock::lol:

What do you guys use for bedding and where do you get it from?

I have gone back to breeders choice paper pellets. I tried hysorb but found alot of the rats got sniffles and sneezie.... breeders choice is more expensive, but the rats get far less sniffles and also it vacuums up heaps better than hysorb when I clean the cages;)

Have others had trouble with sniffly and sneezie rats on hysorb?

Last edited:
heres two very terrible phone photos of another double rex which is almost naked at its molt
04072012002.jpg

04072012001.jpg

I would say the mother prolly ate it, unfortunately :(

I tried breeding an unknown mother I was given, who I think is really old... too old to breed.... I think she ate all her babies. I knew she was close to popping her babies... then there was a bit of blood around.... but no babies..... then I found one dead pinkie, which I removed. I kept watching for her to have more so I could rescue them.... but havent seen any more alive or dead :(

Was worth trying, she is very nice looking, a fawn self rex.... but I think she is either really old or she has lost her marbles :lol: She keeps biting onto her tail and running around and around in circles..... then stops, looks over her other shoulder and grabs it from that side and around and around she goes :shock::lol:

I have gone back to breeders choice paper pellets. I tried hysorb but found alot of the rats got sniffles and sneezie.... breeders choice is more expensive, but the rats get far less sniffles and also it vacuums up heaps better than hysorb when I clean the cages;)

Have others had trouble with sniffly and sneezie rats on hysorb?

Yeah I guess so :(
All pups are doing well :)
And all mums are as well.
sorry to hear about your litter :(

I am sure my champagne female is pregnant, that will be interesting.

I use newspaper/ dust free wood shavings (just two handfuls for the pups)

sorry about the dodgy pics but grabbed a few of this little girl today. Is it just a plain BEW or something different? It has a black tip to one of its ears and a black mark just above one of its eyes too.....

Helikaon - dont know if i like those or not but they certainly are different! haha!

Attachments

• rat1.jpg
    rat1.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 49
  • rat2.jpg
    rat2.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 43
Not sure exactly - id say about 2 weeks.....I have another one almost identical in another litter too. They will be kept as pets and spared from the freezer! I love them when they are this size - cleaning all my preggo mum tubs is my favourite part.

I believe the the bews when bred can produce black spots thats how they make the dalmatians

cheers helikaon - i have male and female that look identical from different litter so will hopefully put them together in a few months time and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back