Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilian66

Banned
Reaction score
l please would like to get to see some photo's, of other Reptile Keepers who keep Sand Monitor's, so we can learn more about them, and how they look from different locations around Australia, so if you know where your Sand Monitor come from in the wild natually, please state the name of the location also, any help would be much appreciated.

Please include the full Common and Scientific name of what your Sand Monitor is, such as (common Sand Monitor-Varanus Gouldii gouldii) (Desert Sand Monitor-Varanus Gouldii Flavirufus).so we all know what sub-species it is.

My Desert Sand Monitor's (Varanus Gouldii Flavirufus) come from the Alice Springs NT Region of Northern Territory.

Last edited:
great shots. hope my lacey is tame enough in a year or two to walk around the house like that. sorry i dont have any sand moniters to post though.
thanks for sharing

Hi Les,
have you got any flavirufus eggs incubating? It seems not many people here have flavis.

Hi reptilian. Love the pics and love the set up.

Hi reptilian. Love the pics and love the set up.
Hi M.punja, Thanks for the nice compliments, in regards to my outdoor Desert Sand Monitor enclosure and the photo's much appreciated mate.

Talking about gay Lizard's 2 of my male Desert Sand Monitor's mated with each other late last year as you can see in the photo's.
Hi Les,
have you got any flavirufus eggs incubating? It seems not many people here have flavis.
Hi Goannas, You are right there is not many people who keep Varanis Gouldii Flavirufus, the problem is not many know the difference between a Flavirufus and Gouldii, they don't know what to look for, for when it comes down to sixe-color-markings, so they may not realise they infact could have a Flavirufus, but think its a Gouldii instead, or it could be a Gould x Flavirufus, who knows.
l don't have any Desert Sand Monitor eggs at the moment, it seems like my 2 females both want a break from breeding this year, neither of them have laid any eggs since February and March 2008.
They will breed when they feel like there ready to, once they are both on heat and have plenty of condition stored in their tail.

Last edited:
l really enjoy watching your 4 video Post on UTUBE, where you see a Green tree monitor being feed, and 2 male Spotted Tree Monitor's mating together, and your Lace Monitor being feed and taken for a walk on a lead, Thanks for posting these on here, l'm sure alot of other Monitor fans would have enjoy watching them also. :)
Thanks! They are very beautiful.
Thank for the nice compliments about my Juveile Desert Sand Monitor's, including the photo from where you see one that just hatched from its egg, Here is a photo l manage to find, where you can see the 1st 2 juveniles l hatched in August and September 2008.:)

Last edited:
Great pics reptilian

Doesn't seem to be too many people around keeping sand monitors.

I was interested in them at one point but settled on a mertens instead..

Great pics reptilian

Doesn't seem to be too many people around keeping sand monitors.

I was interested in them at one point but settled on a mertens instead..
l agree with you in regards to not many people keeping Sand Monitor's itbites, at one point no-one seem to want them because of there shy nature, and they did not know enough about them, such as where they come from natually in the wild, and how big they grow and what there diet intake is, plus they did not know how to set-up a proper enclosure for them either.
l have always love Sand Monitor's since l was 12 years old, because of there color and markings, and they don't get to big in size and they are more of a long slender looking monitor, where there not to skinny or fat in size or appearance.
l notice over the years l have kept them, they seem to be quite intelligent to some point, my ones always watch every tiny movement l make, whether its with my hands or fingers or eye lids for when l blink, they don't miss a thing no matter what l'm doing at the time.:)

Thanks for the additional picture, they are always welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back