show us your water monitor set ups

Discussion in 'Australian Snakes' started by ricky_91, Jan 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ricky_91

ricky_91 Active Member

post your water monitor set ups

2. kr0nick

kr0nick Well-Known Member

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sorry mate I can't help, I saw one at the Ipswich expo it was like A turtle tank with about 3.4 inches of water in the bottom, with rocks and branches so they could get up to the heated glass shelf. It was about 6-8 foot long I can't remember.

3. ricky_91

ricky_91 Active Member

yeh that was peters babys my friends ended up getting a pair of him and a pair of the bells phase lacies i got mine of a man up north because peter had none left by the time i had the money otherwise i would of got them from him. I'm pretty sure the mother of one of my lacies came from him a few years ago. the tank he had them in at the expo would only be a display tank tho because they are semi aquatic so have mostly water and a little land wouldn't be so good i don't think i just have a big plastic tub of water in my 8 foot tank and then branches and rocks.

4. Karly

Karly Well-Known Member

Here's mine. I didn't build it, came with the lizard :)

Attached Files:

5. JAS101

JAS101 Very Well-Known Member

cool what size is the enclosure ?

6. ricky_91

ricky_91 Active Member

basking temp for mertens

wow thats amazing mine isn't as nice as that. when i make the new one i want to go taller if i don't end up putting them in a pit outside.

what basking temp do you give yours ?

7. Karly

Karly Well-Known Member

The guy who built it sure was a talented artist, he did a much better job than I ever could! The only thing I changed was I replaced the heat rock and lamp with a 250watt ceramic heat element, giving a basking temp of around 55-65 degrees. The enclosure is about 2m wide, 2.5 high and 1 deep. We're building him an outdoor enclosure soon complete with pond and natural heating from the sun. Those heat lamps are crazy expensive to run!

8. ricky_91

ricky_91 Active Member

yeh monitors make you poor with there hot heat haha i have flood lights on mine we just got solar power installed yesterday so hopefully that helps

9. kr0nick

kr0nick Well-Known Member

Lol not really I just use A 150watt spot globe for my Ridge tailed monitor and it gets to 50+ easy as on the top layer of his stack. When QLD had that heat wave for A few days the temp on the top layer was 91oC :O on the top layer of his stack and the reflector is 20 cms away.
    Another point is for bigger monitors is that I have read that they sometimes need more the 1 bulb at times, Sometimes 3-4 in A line.

10. dozerman

dozerman Active Member

The hotspot needs to cover the monitor from snout to vent. Floods are better than spots as spots concentrate the heat in a small area while floods give a uniform heat.Some "floods " lens have clear centers causing them to do the same thing. This can cause burns on your monitor

11. ricky_91

ricky_91 Active Member

yeh i have 3 to 4 flood lights from buntings in a row for my bigger monitors and kr0nick it does make you poor when you have as many lights running as i do i have apron 45 lights running most of the time plus heat matts and the bigger monitors have 3 to 4 lights each it adds up a lot I'm starting to move snakes and monitors into pits in the yard its better for them and it saves me electricity

12. JAS101

JAS101 Very Well-Known Member

yup and the less lawn u have the less u have to mow it lol .

13. dozerman

dozerman Active Member

whats the wattage on your floods ricky? any pics?

14. ricky_91

ricky_91 Active Member

they are 60w flood lights wide beam ones they are about 3.50 each from buntings ill try to take and upload some pics

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.