Show Your Rat & Mouse DIY Racks & Set Ups!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JrFear

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Show Your Rat & Mouse DIY Racks & Set Ups!!!

As the title says i want to see your DIY set ups and racks you have built for you mice and rats!
im in the middle of planning my own set up! so if any one wants to share there plans that would be fantastico!

Jesse;)

- - - Updated - - -

any one?

The tubs are a little deep because I have an Edstrom watering system but I just put a brick in the tub for the rats to reach the nipple, the biggest tip I could give you is find your tubs first and look around for the perfect size. I have also built my own CO2 chamber.

Attachments

• 2012-09-16_15-54-23_195.jpg
    2012-09-16_15-54-23_195.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 702
is it easy to CO2 them im intersted in breeding my own but not to keen on killing them incase i stuff up the first few times

I prefer to slam my rats... it may sound terrible, but i have found this to be the quickest and easiest way to kill them.
I do have a soda stream set up, but I don't like the way it kills, the rats struggling to breath etc..., put me off, plays on my emotions. 1 slam and there dead.

I prefer to slam my rats... it may sound terrible, but i have found this to be the quickest and easiest way to kill them.
I do have a soda stream set up, but I don't like the way it kills, the rats struggling to breath etc..., put me off, plays on my emotions. 1 slam and there dead.

That's the same way I cull mine.

is it easy to CO2 them im intersted in breeding my own but not to keen on killing them incase i stuff up the first few times

It is really easy to CO2 them and the suggested way by the RSPCA.

What do you slam them with?
I slam them onto the concrete floor... just make sure there is enough force to kill it with one hit, otherwise the rat will be suffering. You can also hold them by the tail and swing them into the edge of a hard corner, hitting around the back of the neck area, tho I don't do that method as there seems to be more blood from my experience.

This is my CO2 canisters, they are 90mm stormwater pipe with a cap one end , screw on lids the other end and 8mm brass connector for connecting the hoses each end. The tall one is 700mm and the short one is 350mm. I connect the gas bottle to the bottom of the canister with 8mm hose and a one way valve to the top of the canister and then to a long balloon. I use the balloon as a guide to see how much CO2 is in the canister, when the balloon is the size of the canister the canister is full. The one way valve is the type used for home beer systems that are pressurised by CO2.

Attachments

• 2012-10-05_18-54-21_305.jpg
    2012-10-05_18-54-21_305.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 493
I slam them onto the concrete floor... just make sure there is enough force to kill it with one hit, otherwise the rat will be suffering. You can also hold them by the tail and swing them into the edge of a hard corner, hitting around the back of the neck area, tho I don't do that method as there seems to be more blood from my experience.

So you just chuck 'em on the ground real hard? Man..I couldn't do something like that. Would rather the CO2 method.

So you just chuck 'em on the ground real hard? Man..I couldn't do something like that. Would rather the CO2 method.
Yep.
As I said earlier, better for me this way as the rats die straight away.

If you do c02 and watch the process you may see why I prefer the slam method... Its pretty much the same as a python squeezing them, struggling to breath, watching the mouths and bodies trying to suck in air etc.. Not a nice thing to watch!

I read that you are meant to introduce enough co2 to put them to sleep/unconscious and then crank it up to finish them off so that they aren't struggling to breath or in pain

Thanks for your inputs guys! As CO2 gassing was my next question!
with slamming wouldnt it be messy! all i can think that when i do cull X amount at a time to freeze im going to have bags of blood!

By the way this is a "Show Your Rat & Mouse DIY Racks & Set Ups" thread so i do want to loads more set ups please!

When I gas mine with Co2 I get a plastic bag put some wood shavings in there then put the mice in there then put the soda stream nasal in the bag and squirt the gas in there then shake the bag around to make sure there dead

When I gas mine with Co2 I get a plastic bag put some wood shavings in there then put the mice in there then put the soda stream nasal in the bag and squirt the gas in there then shake the bag around to make sure there dead

How does that method work for you mate.
Most people put them in a click clack with 2 holes. One to put the gas in and one so a bit of the air inside can escape. Seems easier. :)

How does that method work for you mate.
Most people put them in a click clack with 2 holes. One to put the gas in and one so a bit of the air inside can escape. Seems easier. :)

How is a plastic bag different to a plastic box? A bag work well as you can push most of the air out and the introduce the CO2 as quickly/slowly as you like. I used to use a hessian sack in a plastic bag. I would put the plastic bag in a plastic bin and then put the sack in the bag and put the animals in the hessian sack and they were quite happy in there as it wasnt all slippery and stressful and then roll the hessian sack up in the plastic bag and then over a the space or minute or so slowly introduce the Co2. If the animals were thrashing around inside then I knew I was putting it in too quickly but if they just slowly went to sleep/died I knew i got it right. It only took a few times to get it right......I dont know how shaking the bag would help at all. A bit of sawdust in the bottom helps soak up any pee too but means they often get a bit stuck to them as well.

Tonight was clean out night & I also had to cull some...

Here is my rack, Bigger tubs for breeders and growers... Smaller tubs for expecting mothers & nurturing mothers or individual growing tubs.
RR2800x450700x394-1.jpg
RR1800x450700x394-1.jpg

Here is the place I cull my rats... as you can see there is minimal blood on the floor, in fact out of the 30 rats I culled tonight only 1 rat bled and it was no bigger than a 5c piece!
RKZ800x450700x394.jpg

Here is one of the bags of rats I made up tonight... as you can see, no blood visible!
RB800x450700x394.jpg

And here is one of my happy customs from tonight!
RE800x450700x394.jpg

Ben

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back