Show Your Rat & Mouse DIY Racks & Set Ups!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
where can you get the water nozzles set ups from

There are also dealers in Queensland, NSW and Victoria that supply Edstrom watering systems. I bought mine from the Queensland dealer who is also advertising on this website Kevin James. I choose to use a supplier in Australia because I thought local customer service would be easier to deal with. I think when you take postage into account it was a little more expensive from here.

Here are two new racks of mine:

Mouse and maternity:
603352_473644016001846_193526941_n.jpg

Rats:
384360_473644032668511_904183105_n.jpg

This is my old place and another rack that holds up to 36 tubs. I only use it to half capacity though so I can fit water bottles because the automatic waterer system was driving me crazy and taking more tome to check and adjust each day than filling water bottles. I like the big 250L tubs for 1 male and heaps of females, and then transferring pregnant females into the racks with smaller tubs to have babies.
IMG_4048.jpg

Ingie, that looks like a lot of work!! Well set up though. How do you feed them is it just in bowls? How quick do rats grow?

They all have hoppers. The blue tubs have hoppers inside. I didn't want it on top because it encourages wild rats to come and eat it :p
Rats grow pretty quickly lol.

They all have hoppers. The blue tubs have hoppers inside. I didn't want it on top because it encourages wild rats to come and eat it :p
Rats grow pretty quickly lol.

That's a good idea, I was wondering how people got on with keeping wild rats away with the out side setups. Thanks.

That's a good idea, I was wondering how people got on with keeping wild rats away with the out side setups. Thanks.

well it doesn't keep wild rats away, they would still be able to come up to the cages... it just means they cant get the food as it is inside the cage.

ingie - do you find the rats chew on the inside of the tubs? I ran those tubs for a while and found they would chew on the lugs inside the tub.....

Hi,
Just in regards to the watering nipples,
What prices are you getting from the States, so I can see what I can do (don't forget to take into account the international freight cost)?
As I would like to be able to service Australia with the full Edstrom range and being a local dealer will be a lot easier for people to deal with and much quicker than waiting for international freight.
Thanks for your time,
Kevin.

Last edited:
Hi,
Hi,
Just in regards to the watering nipples,
What prices are you getting from the States, so I can see what I can do (don't forget to take into account the intenational freight cost)?
As I would like to be able to service Australia with the full Edstrom range and being a local dealer will be a lot easier for people to deal with and much quicker than waiting for international freight.
Thanks for your time,
Kevin.

The 6 piece vari-flow add on kit was about $35 plus $20 delivery to Australia

Here is what it would cost me to get 1 of everything i would need to set up a rat rack... obviously i would need more of everything, but just to answer your question.

Fitting Barbed Elbow 3/16"barb x 3/16"barb, plastic x1 =$0.67
Mounting Clip for Vari-Flo Drinking Valve with 3/16"barb x1=$0.51
Loop Clamp with Screw for 3/16"Flex-Tubing x1 =$0.32
Tank Connector with 3/16"barbed, valved outlet x1 = $8.90
Flex-Tubing 3/16"id, Black PVC * per foot* x1 = $0.25
Fitting Barbed Tee 3/16"barb x 3/16"barb x 3/16"barb, plastic x1 = $0.53
Edstrom Vari-Flo Valve, 3/16"barb, Brass x1 = $3.99
Drain-Vent, Barbed, 3/16"barb x1 = $3.15
Subtotal: $18.32
Shipping & Handling: $15.34
Tax: $0.00
Order Total: $33.66 ALL IN USD$

Ok thanks,
My price is $42.25 for the kit plus $9.55 express post Australia wide.
For the above lot at my current price would work out at $21.65 plus $9.55 post.
So works out a little cheaper and then we offer a discount on all orders over $105.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe I should see if I can drop my prices a little more to make it more attractive for people to purchase from me, rather than Edstrom (do not think I am trying to take business away from Edstrom, they are happy to have an Australian dealer as it makes it easier on them sending one larger order rather than multiple smaller orders).
Just need to make people aware that I have the stock here ready to go.
I am in the process of setting up a web site.
Thanks Kevin.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way these are the rat rack systems that I have been building, this one is not quite finished yet.
IMG_0302.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,
I have only been making them for friends up until now.
I have had quite a few people interested in them so I am going to advertise them and start taking orders from other APS members.
PM me for prices if interested.
I will try to get an ad posted in the coming days.
Thanks.

i finished my setup just the other day. I got the watering kit off kevin. saves filling the bottles every morning that was such a pain in the bum
i got the rack from bunnings and tubs
View attachment 270154View attachment 270155

Attachments

• 20121108_181921.jpg
    20121108_181921.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 383
  • 20121108_181908.jpg
    20121108_181908.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.