Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not as bad as some others but I thought it was pretty good seeing as all this happened in 2 weeks of me getting my first 'big' snake :lol:

To make it worse they were feeding bites, yay :rolleyes::lol: And last pic is the culprit

Hey vixenb is it usually an easily handled snake?? I'm asking as I only have babies but was considering getting a 'big' snake also

Hey vixenb is it usually an easily handled snake?? I'm asking as I only have babies but was considering getting a 'big' snake also

She's usually great to handle, was my fault really I didnt use feeding tongs and she missed :lol:

OMG! They look so painful, especially the one with all the blood! Now that's scary. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Why did the snakes bite? Was it a case of mistaken identity..."oh whoops that's a hand not a mouse" :rolleyes: or a particulary psyco snake. :twisted:

As a newbie, I want to try and avoid getting mauled. (Please don't tell me this is normal...:shock: )

Seriously, are bites very common, even if you follow the right proceedures in handling such as not having mouse smell on your hands, using long tongs and using a snake hook? I'm thinking about getting a Murray Darling as my first snake, are they prone to taking a chomp on your hand?

I was messing with him so he messed with me... actually i was separating him from the female which he'd just knocked up and i had rodent scent on my hands. I knew he was likely to bite so restrained him whilst moving him to the other enclosure - which he didn't appreciate. When i released him into his new enclosure he immediately swung back and nailed me. It was completely my fault; he's normally quite placid.

So the lesson learned would be...Don't get between lovers...Don't have mouse smell on your hands...Don't restrain...and don't expect not to get nailed. :rolleyes: Ok, I got it now :lol:

Last edited:
and they say bredlis are placid lol

This is the only real shot I have of a good, long bite, and that's only because I had a camera on me and the snake wasn't wanting to let go :lol: It was a nice placid Bredli who I nicknamed Satan's' daughter (for obvious reasons! :p) She's certainly got some serious attitude!

(sorry about the pic quality, I had a crappy camera on hand at the time hehe)

ouchlol.jpg

MVC-758F.jpg

ps: looking at the photos again, I think she got both hands that day :lol: :lol:

this is kinda worrying for me.. im getting a coastal and now im worried about when it is full grown as iv seen first hand the nastyness a giant wild one can do.. lol.. my mates a snake catcher and had to remove a gigantic wild one from a ladies house and he got smashed pretty bad on the arms by it when he got it home.. it was placid as hell when he got it and when he brought it into his house then when he was putting it into an enclosure before he released it... well lets just say the enclosure wasnt to its liking lol.. it got him on the arms and one on the leg when he was trying to get his arm out of its coils.. all this attacking and getting chomped is worrying lol..:lol:

I havnt got any pics of my many bites
I actually got nailed at work today-didnt use tongs to feed & the jungle got my little finger.
Best one tho was the big prosserpine we had at work, just over 7 feet got middle, ring & little finger from the first knuckle to the base of my fingers.

I wouldn't let the possibility of getting bitten change your mind about getting a snake guys. It's nothing worse than falling off your bike when you were little and skinning your knee... there is a lot of blood, not much damage, but it's the shock that gets you most.
They move so fast, so you freak out from instinct and then realise it's not that bad.

They are snakes after all! All small puppies and kittens bite at some stage too its part of the fun. If they where soft cuddly animals everyone would have em.

I don't have any pics of my bites except this little guy - it was very cute

Attachments

• P1010703.jpg
    P1010703.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 165
I don't have any pics of my bites except this little guy - it was very cute

awww, what a cute little nibble!

Our Bredli is a bit snappy but she is still only tiny and just sort of bumps against your hand as she bites (according to my husband - I am such a wuss I can't face getting bitten, so I just hover while he is handling her! I have been spoilt by our gentle Stimmie...)

I have to harden up and get bitten while she is small so it's not such a shock when she is bigger!

Thanxs oddball and Brigsy that helps us newbies and puts things into perspective. I think its the fear of the unknown and/or shock that can get to you.:shock: And I know how some small wounds can bleed like crazy...I once grazed the end of my fingertip with an arrow while doing archery. The arrow slipped off the rest and misfired, and later I was wondering what all the hot sticky stuff was making me lose grip on the bow. I didn't even feel it at the time and it bleed like crazy! :lol:

I still want to get either a MD or a Bredli and I want to try and avoid getting mauled if possible. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back