Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends on the snake. Some are chilled out throughout all stages of shedding. Mine is as docile as anything in any situation. Anyway, each to their own, if it works for them then that's great.
Have to agree. Moccona(woma) doesn't mind being handled pretty much any time, whether she's in shedding or has just eaten she doesn't mind a hold or pat(as long as you don't try while she's feeding)

It depends on the snake. Some are chilled out throughout all stages of shedding. Mine is as docile as anything in any situation. Anyway, each to their own, if it works for them then that's great.
It is one thing being chilled out but whilst a snake is going through the shedding process it's new skin is very fragile and can be damaged easily and that is why snakes will usually hide away until they have shed.

It's simply bad husbandry to interfere unnecessarily with a shedding snake, period. The OP is simply a desperado who NEEDS to imagine that the snake is enjoying her company. I pity the poor animal and the life it has in front of it. Probably one of the most disrespectful attitudes to these animals I've seen so far, and a serious indication of how these beautiful creatures can be acquired with no background knowledge. The idiocy eaves me speechless.

Jamie

Hahaha Jamie! I have to agree too, this thread is out there!

I 'll explain to those shed cycle interfering keepers why some of us don't like handling snakes at this time in their cycle, as explained to me not that long ago by a more experienced friend.

As the new skin forms under the old the animal produces oils that separate the two skins so that the old one sloughs off nice and easily and hopefully in one peice. If you handle the snake at this time it is possible that with a little too much pressure you can squeeze the oils away from the area where the pressure is applied. This can leave the old skin stuck to the new, which creates problems and results in a bad shed, with the old skin tearing at those points and then needing to be removed by soaking.

Besides, the shed cycle is 10-14 days. One shower or bath in the middle of that cycle does nothing. Snakes are waterproof, so as soon as the bath is over and the snake is dry its back to where it started. The best thing to help with shedding is to supply fresh drinking water daily, and maybe move the water bowl or put in another one, closer to the heat source in dry weather .

The trouble with many of these observations is how do you tell when a snake is happy, enjoying or likes something. You cant! Just because the sanke doesn't die or get sick, doesn't mean they like something. It sounds like selfish keepers putting their needs above those of the snake.

Needy people should have dogs and parrots, so that they can be mutually dependent, each of those critters can spend their lives in constant contact with their needy carer, and the feedback is mutually positive. Snakes can be relaxed around humans, but for the most part they are solitary, private creatures which need nothing more than basic food and shelter from their human carers - to force them to become a shower accessory is bizarre, to do it while the snake is in pre-slough is just plain ignorant. The thing is, most snakes will tolerste mistreatment for months before turning up their toes, and keepers like the OP think they're successful from time they see their snake eat its first meal - except the poo obsessives of course, but there's been enough written about them...

Is there a full moon or something...?

Jamie

Needy people should have dogs and parrots, so that they can be mutually dependent, each of those critters can spend their lives in constant contact with their needy carer, and the feedback is mutually positive. Snakes can be relaxed around humans, but for the most part they are solitary, private creatures which need nothing more than basic food and shelter from their human carers - to force them to become a shower accessory is bizarre, to do it while the snake is in pre-slough is just plain ignorant. The thing is, most snakes will tolerste mistreatment for months before turning up their toes, and keepers like the OP think they're successful from time they see their snake eat its first meal - except the poo obsessives of course, but there's been enough written about them...

Jamie

I have parrots and they just love attention, cuddles and scratches. in regards to the shower stuff my quaker and cockatiel love it. the cockatiel just sits up on the shower head or on my finger(I want to get him one of those shower perches) while my quaker either sits on the bottom splashing around(in a good way) or sits on my finger as well just sitting under the shower.

Jamie

Someone with experience, telling it how it is... Listen up noobs!!!

My pythons are placid and I learnt the hard way not to handle at any point during the shed process. Guess what?! Last sheds were perfect. Go figure :p

Jamie

Hi Jamie. There is actually :p

I've been waiting for your comments on this thread too. You didn't disappoint :)

I have parrots and they just love attention, cuddles and scratches. in regards to the shower stuff my quaker and cockatiel love it. the cockatiel just sits up on the shower head or on my finger(I want to get him one of those shower perches) while my quaker either sits on the bottom splashing around(in a good way) or sits on my finger as well just sitting under the shower.

Yep, we had Macaws for years and the youngsters that loved showering, but birds frequently bathe voluntarily anyway, and they are social (unlike snakes) so often enjoy the interaction underwater - on their own terms though, unlike snakes which have no choices and have to tolerate whatever indignities dimwitted owners dish up to them.

Jamie

Yep, we had Macaws for years and the youngsters that loved showering, but birds frequently bathe voluntarily anyway, and they are social (unlike snakes) so often enjoy the interaction underwater - on their own terms though, unlike snakes which have no choices and have to tolerate whatever indignities dimwitted owners dish up to them.

Jamie
;) I'd love a macaw

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg Gave moccona a bath last and she shed this morning :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 78

Jamie
While I do agree mostly with what you've said, there is always an exception. I had a Bredli who hated solitary confinement, she was always comfortable around people and didn't seem to be bothered by crowds and noise either. I could never keep her in her cage, she was always wanting to be out and explore and was quite comfortable in our lounge with the TV going and people moving about all the time. She was more or less a lapdog.

Last edited:
I was hoping we wouldn't see this thread again. Phatty, snakes in the rain are in a very different space - it's their choice, and many of them take the opportunity to drink, often after months without water

Jamie

Not to mention there can be a bit of a temp difference between a warm shower and the rain.

My Girl is left in peace whilst shedding.
Shes never had a shower with me nor will she.
Twice I have had to soak the tip of her tail and she was not a happy camper.

Unfortunately, one of my cats loves water and has jumped in my bath several times.
I've tried running her her own bath but she won't jump in unless I'm in it too- weirdo .

if I had a water loving reptile, I'd give it a shower or bath but wouldn't get in with it.

chewy_num,
Evidently you are aware that a certain moisture level is needed for a good shed. The “steam bath” referred to I interpret as a highly humid atmosphere. What you are evidently unaware of is that you should not handle a snake coming into shed, even if it is not stressed by that. There are two basic reasons....

Handling of a python that is in its shed cycle has the capacity to damage the newly laid down skin layers while they are still soft e.g. if the snake were to twist suddenly or slip from your grasp, and scarring could result;

The second was the reason given by Cement but his mate had a few of the details wrong. Once the new layers of skin are formed underneath, lymph (tissue fluid minus red blood cells) and not oil, containing a specific enzyme, diffuses into the area. The enzyme produces cleavage between the old and new skin, while the lymph acts as a lubricant. Handling can squeeze the enzyme bearing lymph away from a cleavage zone, impeding the separation of old skin from new and resulting in a stuck shed.

The skin also becomes permeable as the water-proofing lipid layers underneath are reorganised in relation to the new epidermal layers being formed. If the loss of moisture is sufficient, cleavage in that are can be impeded. Hence the reason poor sheds can occur in excessively dry atmosphere. So keep the humidity between 50% and 60% during the shed cycle or add a humid hide or mist if necessary and make sure the snake is kept well hydrated – water changes and clean water bowl every second day, if not daily, as snakes will not drink water that has stood for longer than a day or so.

Human body temperature is 37.4[SUP]o[/SUP]C while the snake’s preferred body is 28[SUP]o[/SUP]C to 29[SUP]o[/SUP]C (as was alluded to). Putting a snake in a shower with 28[SUP]o[/SUP]C water running, but not directly on it, will provide a humid environment but is still considerably less effective than immersing in a bath of its own. Having a shower at that temperature and not being able to wash most of us would consider unpleasant. And a pleasant 40[SUP]o[/SUP]C, water or air temperature, is far too hot for the snake.

Daily two hour handling sessions is excessive by most standards. Many will only handle their snakes for a fraction of that time, three, maybe four times a week. If the snake is happy to coil up on a lap or the like for 2 hours at a time, then so be it. However, if it wants to go off and investigate other places, let it do so, or just curtail your handling sessions to say 15 minutes max.

Blue

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright seems this has gotten out of hand....

Firsty Neo's shed was absolutely perfect, no bits left over, his eye caps came off perfectly and he ate even more heartily afterwards then ever! I have his shed nicely on a desk shelf and made sure while he was in his shed to leave him alone, after his body went clear again I did not handle or even look at him till I saw the shed hanging on a branch. Even better I stayed at a friends place the night the actually shed so he was alone and without any disturbances and left him alone till the shed was dry and him away and hiding.

I did not just go out and buy a snake thinking it was a dog or cat... I have been researching this for years and did 6 months of more intense research before purchasing him, viewing/handling other snake owners snakes, questions and more questions before even getting my license, even now I am still asking questions and learning every day.

I DID NOT bathe with him while he was shedding, I am not an idiot.... He was a good 5 days before shedding and had gone milky only in the last couple of days.

I did not just grab my snake and throw him into a shower, I had two weeks before bathed him in his own bath to test if he liked water, I would never put any animal into a foreign situation without a safe testing situation first. Again I am no fool. when I brought him in it was a long and carefully watched 10 minute step by step situation.

We walk around naked in front of all our pets all the time, many have pets in their rooms. Why is a snake so different? I know of 'scents' and such and how they affect animals, I kept him either in my hands or on my knee, far away from any danger areas.. I'm not prudish about nudity, why should I cover up the body I have?

There is no 'one way, be all and end all' way to care for snakes, if there was only one way why are there so many books/ so much information from so many different people? This thread has given me some new information to take away about snake care but honestly... I care and love my pets more then my own life, do you think I would do anything to put them in harms way? Yes this experience has not been met with the best of responses but I was expecting this, everyone is entitled to an opinion, after all this is a discussion forum is it not?

In closing, I have said/done something controversial and this has sparked a lot of others concerns and opinions, Neo is safe, happy and as care free as ever.

If you have genuine concerns on my snakes health I am more then happy to send you a pic of him nosing the camera lens in his never ending curiosity

Nothing has gotten out of hand. Some of the older more experienced pointed out that showering with a pet snake is a stupid thing to do. That's all there is too it.

Couldn't care less if you are naked or dressed up as Santa to be honest. But around the 5 day mark prior to shedding is probably about the time the underlying skin is most vulnerable - it is not fully developed, but the old skin has begun to separate from the delicate (at that stage) developing skin beneath.

Just to be clear about the message I was trying to impart here - there is no benefit to your snake whatsoever in taking it into the shower with you. It's much more about you than your snake.

Jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back