Sick breeding rat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

timmy

Reaction score
Hello all. I have a female rat that has lost a lot of weight and is breathing funny. Also she is hunched over and isn't very energetic. I was wondering if anyone knows what might be causing the problem.

Most domestic rats and mice are born with Mycoplasma pulmonis in the mucous membranes of their respiratory tracts as well as in the females' genital tracts

disease in rats, not saying it is, but i just read in my book and it could be a candidate for your little rattie

The bronchopulmonary syndrome, (involving the lungs and heart), is either brought on by or made worse by ammonia, bacterial infections, or Sendai virus infection. It is characterized by lethargy, rough hair coat, hunched posture, chattering, weight loss, labored breathing, and eventually death. Unless bacteria complicate the respiratory infections, the terminal clinical stages of mycoplasmosis may last weeks or months.
OR COULD BE OLD AGE LOL

Thanks kylie and aussie python lover. This is the second rat that i have had that has had these problems. Unfortunately she died. Also i forgot to add that she make a funny noise when she breathes.

Thanks guys. After reading the above link she has all of the symptoms of myco. I hope none of my other rats catch this disease.

seperate her from the others and keep an eye on it, if it dies dont feed it to the snakes ok lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back