Sick dainty tree frog (Litoria gracilenta)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mattdadrma

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi,

About a year ago we were given a dainty tree frog (Litoria gracilenta) to care for, since he'd come down in a banana box from northern Australia. Apart from the lack of interest in food at the start hes been fine for a while now.

We found him the other day in the bottom of his tank and he looked to be very dry and looked dead. Fortunately we have nursed him back to looking a lot better but he is not interested in food, he still looks a little pale and he is very uncoordinated and pretty much does not move when hes in the tank.

Is there any steps we can take to try to ensure he survives? Unfortunately, we cant induce him to feed like we can for our other frogs if we need to.

the peeps at the locale pet store have an agreement with the fruit and veg store across from them and all the frogs they get with the bananas are given to them. they house them seperate from the other daintys and they say all the ones tat arent sold are dead within about 4 months so id say your lucky to have one that long! but they may get sprayed with something to kill bugs...........

How can the shop sell them?
I thought they needed to be bred and registered? Wouldn't the frogs in the Banana boxs be classed as collected?

Unfortunately it sounds like some type of fungus... I'm thinking [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]chytrid fungus... Hes had discoloured skin, been peeling and he sits out in the open and doesn't move much...
[/FONT]

will be going to the vet tomorrow. Any advice, links or help would still be appreciated.

If the news isnt good we will have to take steps to keep our GTF's healthy too.

How is your enclosure set up? is it heated? Dainties, like other tropical / temperate rainforest frogs generally don't go looking for water, they just expect a high humidity level....or die.. So, if for any reason you have a low humidity level in your tank, due to poor substrate choice or perhaps it's tank drying out, your frog will suffer. Keep in mind that Winter has a much lower humidity level.

I agree with JasonL, it might be because of humidity, how often do you spray your tank? I spray mine daily for my GTF's and they love it. And with daintys they are just like red eyes apparently, if theirs water they usually wont find it in a big space, unlike GTF's:)

Dainty tree frogs

wow, the comment about the fruit shop having an agreement with the the petshop to sell the frogs is weird as here in N.S.W any of these frogs found from banana boxes are to be reported to your local national parks and wildlife..and yes you need a license to keep them...I keep ours heated at 15 degrees at night and 24 during the day with mistings twice a day...good luck i hope he gets better:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back