Sick gecko?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maseface

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Came in today to find my gecko under water,
Its an eastern stone gecko, he just sits in his water bowl occasionally lifting his head out.
i havent seen him eat for a while and im a bit worried about him, though hes still dumpin turds.
I removed the heat mat about a month ago after it started getting really warm and the enclosure doesn't go above 28*C.
Theres always 1-2 crickets in there but he doesnt seem to be interested. i cant remember the last time i saw him eat.

IS HE OK?

Its been very hot he may just be trying to stay cool, leave the heat matt there.. is it on a thermostat?
I havent heard of mites on geckos but im sure its possible.

Check for mites. And I'd stop leavening crickets in its enclosure. It stresses them out.

- - - Updated - - -

Its been very hot he may just be trying to stay cool, leave the heat matt there.. is it on a thermostat?
I havent heard of mites on geckos but im sure its possible.
Mites can affect all reptiles.

yeh i checked him for mites and all that. Not one to be see.
Ill set the mat up again, its not on a thermo but he has a few hides set up one over the mat and the other 2 on the cooler side facing different directions.
And ill remove the crickets too.
I was mainly worried why he had his entire body submerged. The room he is in does stay quite cool though, i dont think it'd be from over heating.
Also, we just had a massive bush fire extremely close, is there a chance he could smell the smoke and took shelter under water??

yeh i checked him for mites and all that. Not one to be see.
Ill set the mat up again, its not on a thermo but he has a few hides set up one over the mat and the other 2 on the cooler side facing different directions.
And ill remove the crickets too.
I was mainly worried why he had his entire body submerged. The room he is in does stay quite cool though, i dont think it'd be from over heating.
Also, we just had a massive bush fire extremely close, is there a chance he could smell the smoke and took shelter under water??

I doubt geckos are that intelligent, although lamas do it!
If he can breathe then we're unsure what hes trying to do, no mites..
Put the heat back on and it should introduce feeding, get your hands on a thermostat though.
If you ever get more geckos you can run more enclosures off the same thermostat so its worth the money.

If he isn't feeding and still in the water in a few weeks then take him to a vet.

I doubt geckos are that intelligent, although lamas do it!
If he can breathe then we're unsure what hes trying to do, no mites..
Put the heat back on and it should introduce feeding, get your hands on a thermostat though.
If you ever get more geckos you can run more enclosures off the same thermostat so its worth the money.

If he isn't feeding and still in the water in a few weeks then take him to a vet.

haha righto, thanks for your help everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back