Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shane's snakes are in prime condition, well loved, cleaned and handled. He spends so much time on them no wonder he gets good results. He usually posts pics around now of eggs produced by his childreni so watch for a "Shane here from Shane's Aussiepythons...." thread.

Hazz, re: force feeding, sorry i meant power feeding, by the time i realised my mistake it was too late to edit it.

Re: Water Pythons at Fogg Dam, that is their normal growth rate, they have evolved to be able to eat and grow that fast. Diamonds and bredli reach maturity at something like 5 years in the wild. Aspidites are probably the same. These are the main ones that are going to have problems later in life (and some early in life) if power fed.

I think your study is going to shut a lot of people up, but i'm pretty sure it won't be me. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Or is it just those motivated by $$$$$$$$$.:rolleyes:

If you saw the way alot of keepers like Shane look after their animals then you could not accuse him of being $$$$$$$$$$$$$ minded. The guy would rather by a new enclosure for his animals than buy a new table.

Simone.

Hazz, re: force feeding, sorry i meant power feeding, by the time i realised my mistake it was too late to edit it.

Re: Water Pythons at Fogg Dam, that is their normal growth rate, they have evolved to be able to eat and grow that fast. Diamonds and bredli reach maturity at something like 5 years in the wild. Aspidites are probably the same. These are the main ones that are going to have problems later in life (and some early in life) if power fed.

I think your study is going to shut a lot of people up, but i'm pretty sure it won't be me. :)

A few beers or a dreggs tray doesn't even shut you up hahahah!

If you saw the way alot of keepers like Shane look after their animals then you could not accuse him of being $$$$$$$$$$$$$ minded. The guy would rather by a new enclosure for his animals than buy a new table.

Simone.

Please don't take this the wrong way I'm not having a go at anyone.

Can I just ask the simple question of WHY would you "Skaarfe' your animals? Whats the point?

Apart from obviously getting them to breeding age which can appear to be just for the $$$. Not saying thats why this particular person does it but thats how it is perceived.

I would be interested to see the Study you are talking about Hazzard. Please keep us all informed.

Personally I use the 'random' feeding and observing the individual. Sometimes i'll pump em for a month or so then back off, or catch up a couple of the problem feeders etc when need be.

A few beers or a dreggs tray doesn't even shut you up hahahah!

LOL Hazzard, and to think, I even busted him sneaking in after we had all paid to be there........maybe I should have thrown him out. But then again, he did provide some entertainment. :lol:

I think its almost a given that one study will not, in fact, shut anyone up. Its too easy to criticise virtually all studies on at least some aspects of statistics or methodology that the results will either be interpreted or disregarded as suits the individual.

Having said that it will be good to see the study and its results when its done as it can only increase the amount of information available. Hopefully this will increase debate and further study until one day we may attain utopia ie. evidence-based herp keeping. (I doubt this will happen in my lifetime but I can dream)

I think its almost a given that one study will not, in fact, shut anyone up. Its too easy to criticise virtually all studies on at least some aspects of statistics or methodology that the results will either be interpreted or disregarded as suits the individual.

Having said that it will be good to see the study and its results when its done as it can only increase the amount of information available. Hopefully this will increase debate and further study until one day we may attain utopia ie. evidence-based herp keeping. (I doubt this will happen in my lifetime but I can dream)

You hit the nail on the head mate, that's the aim evidence based herp keeping! You have to start somewhere

See this i just dont get ...SKAARFING...POWER FEEDING!!!!!!!!
So nobody demand feeds their animals.....? If they are hungry .....you feed them!
Unless you are stuffing food down their throats.........animals only eat when they are hungry..RIGHT?

No actually animals quite often are missing a 'full' reflex or one that only kicks in in the extreme. Its a survival mechanism of sorts where if there is food available they will eat to utilize it. Well I don't believe in it really I mean power feeding for maybe a month I would do and then not offer food for a while to simulate the natural availability of it but not all out power feeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back