Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

James_Scott

Reaction score
Calling all experts!
Anybody able to give me common and latin names to the following species of skinks?

Attachments

• IMG_1866.jpg
    IMG_1866.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1918.jpg
    IMG_1918.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_1959.jpg
    IMG_1959.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 72
The first photo is Egernia whitii, and the second is Acritoscincus duperreyi. I used to find both in Mt Gambier, SA when search for Tiger Snakes and Copperheads.

I am unsure as to the third species, I don't have a field guide with me.

Cheers

I just had a bit of a brain fart, the third one is most probably Eulamprus tympanum. I have also found them in Mt Gambier, one of which had a flourescent yellow ventral surface that we though may have been heatwolei at first glance, but it was just an unual tympanum.

The third one is of the Genus Eulamprus which includes the Water Skinks.
I am no expert but these are my favourite lizards.
It could be Eulamprus tympanum found in Vic and southern parts of NSW. Commonly known as Southern Water Skink or Dreeite Water Skink. Could also be Eulamprus heatwolei known as Yellow-bellied or Mountain Water Skink from same areas.
My avitar is of a juv Golden or Eastern Water Skink, Eulamprus quoyii found in more northern parts of NSW and along most of the QLD coast. I don't think this is the one in your photo as it is missing the stripe that continues past the head down to at least the middle of the body.
Where are the photos taken?

James,

First is Egernia whitti whitti, the second is a female or nonbreeding male Acritoscincus duppreyii and the third is Eulamprus tympanum.

Scott Eipper

Gee you guys are good! Skinks are so hard to identify.
I have noted them all down. thanks very much.
In future I will post where the pics were taken. All of these were taken on a recent trip to Wilsons Promontory in Southern Vic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back