Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Focus

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hello herp lovers!

I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to ID what is most likely a very simple ID for anyone who knows skinks. Location: North West Sydney suburban garden. Sorry about the quality, I've only got a point-and-click camera. Hopefully it's good enough.

Thanks!

Attachments

• P1040217.jpg
    P1040217.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 171
  • P1040216.jpg
    P1040216.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 143
Looks like a garden skink or a grass skink? do u know what its length was?

Approximately 6 cms.

Is garden skink a common name used to describe a variety of small skinks which turn up in gardens? I'm asking because I'm pretty sure I've heard it used to describe a different species to this, unless there is a big colour variation that they can come in.

Edit: thanks mad-at-arms!

Lampropholis guichenoti

- - - Updated - - -

There is a faint sign of a vertebral stripe which L. delicata does not have

Garden Skink usually refers to two species in Sydney suburban gardens.
This specimen looks like a Lampropholis guichenoti. These are often referred to as Garden Skink and are very common in the Sydney area.
The very similar and closely related Lampropholis delicata is also very common in Sydney gardens, perhaps even more common than L. guichenoti. I've found that it is typically darker and more uniform in colour dorsally. They are often chocolate brown in my experience and are always without a vertebral stripe.
Lampropholis guichenoti usually has a darker vertebral stripe on a mid-grey background colour.

Last edited:
Thanks Bushman, appreciate it.

Do you know whether both species can live alongside each other?

My pleasure mate. :D
Yes, both species can live alongside each other quite happily I dare say. They probably compete for food but there's probably plenty to go around.

Thanks, I think both may inhabit the garden, as I've definitely seen l. delicata around the walls.

Cheers again!

You have picked one of their favourite possies straight off, Focus. They use open areas at the based of walls where the grass is a bit longer and affords cover. They will crawl up the wall to get sun but usually not too far away from cover. Not only do both species co-exist, they also share communal egg-laying sites. The maximum clutch is 4 or 5 eggs and up to 130 eggs have been found in the one spot. Not bad even if they do double clutch in a season.

They have long been called garden or grass skinks. They are more common in cities than they are in their natural habitat. They like sunny places that are fairly moist. That would mean forests in nature but getting the sun restricts them to margins and openings in the forest, such as those due to exposed rock shelves. Cultivated garden and lawns provide the ideal combination of conditions.

There is has recently been a move to name delicata the Grass Skink and guichenotia the Garden Skink. In New Zealand, where delicata has become naturalised, it is referred to as the Rainbow Skink, while in Hawaii, where it has been establish for over a century, it is most often referred to as the Metallic Skink.

I am not sure what conditions favour which but growing up in Sydney, where we were giuchenotia were more common. Delicata were more coppery in colour, especially the hatchlings. Individuals do vary a bit in colour and pattern. I have a feeling the male guichenotia develop quite a coppery colour to their head come breeding season - however it has been a long time, so don’t quote me. Looks like a gravid female in the photo, by the way.

I hope that fills in a few blanks for you.
Blue

Any chance the two could cross breed and produce more variants?

well, they couldnt get anymore boring so its worth a shot !

HA HA Richo, I mean could they readily hybridise in the wild and produce more variants in the wild (without us Stuffing it up) making possible ID confusing?

Bluetongue1, thanks for the response, very interesting! I know that to most herp lovers these skinks must be the bottom of the interest ladder but I find them pretty awesome :)

well, they couldnt get anymore boring so its worth a shot !

lol!

If it has to be big, bad or bright to take someone's attention, then that probably says a lot more about the person than the reptile. There was a thread recently where someone was wanting to get hold of some garden skinks. There would have been another half a dozen at least who expressed their interest - so you never know.

Both species are very aware of their surroundings and any movement that occurs and are quite wary. However they will come to tolerate a quiet observer. While they live in high numbers in close proximity, they appear to be territorial to a degree as they will fight off an interloper that attempts to take their basking spot. It is quite fascinating to observe their interactions and general behaviour.

Jeffa,
As far as I know natural hybrids do not occur. That could be due to genetic differences being too great or to whatever the mechanism is that stops them from attempting to interbreed. We do tend to think of morphologically similar species, especially within the one genus, of being just as similar genetically. However, such is not necessarily the case. It works the other way too. Diamonds and Coastal Carpets are extremely similar genetically, yet morphologically very different to look at.

Blue

Garden Skink usually refers to two species in Sydney suburban gardens.
This specimen looks like a Lampropholis guichenoti. These are often referred to as Garden Skink and are very common in the Sydney area.
The very similar and closely related Lampropholis delicata is also very common in Sydney gardens, perhaps even more common than L. guichenoti. I've found that it is typically darker and more uniform in colour dorsally. They are often chocolate brown in my experience and are always without a vertebral stripe.
Lampropholis guichenoti usually has a darker vertebral stripe on a mid-grey background colour.

I've found that L.delicata are more common in Newcastle but a divide somewhere around Gosford area brings L.guichenoti into the role of 'more common garden skink'. This is just my experience and by no means a rule.

I've found that L.delicata are more common in Newcastle but a divide somewhere around Gosford area brings L.guichenoti into the role of 'more common garden skink'. This is just my experience and by no means a rule.
That's interesting Stephen, however there are areas of Sydney where L. delicata seems to be the more common of the two (pers.obs) species. I speculate that the species that predominates in each given area depends upon subtle differences in micro-habitat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back