Skink rehabilitation

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxoftherose

Reaction score
So my cat somehow brought a small skink into our house and antagonized it until I noticed it and removed it. The skink is alive and moving slowly, but seems to be in bad shape. There are no external wounds, but I fear that there might be some internal damage. What can I do to help this little guy out? I'm prepared to spend a bit of money on this if I have to. He's in a medium/large click-clack with paper towels and a shallow water dish. His temps are in the ideal range for his species (27.3C), and his humidity is around 45, which is the ambient in our house. All advice and tips will be appreciated. Thanks!

Probably best to release it into an area with suitable shelter that way it will have access to everything it needs.

If it is hurt theres not much you can do for it.offering food/water can do more harm than good,though keeping it warm helps.u should just let it go outside,it may just be in shock and recover when its left alone.

I would say it is probably shock and as stated before it would be best to release it outside in an area with lots of cover, Thats the best way to go i think.

That's why it's strange, my cat is kept inside at all times. I guess the skink must have wandered in to the garage. I'm well aware of how hard cats are on wildlife.

If the skink has suffered damage from the cat it will benefit from rehabilitation, so long as any injuries sustained are not critical. Providing the rights temps, access to appropriate food and fresh water and shelter will allow it to recover. This idea that it is in shock is I don’t buy. A lizard can be temporarily in shock when given an unnaturally hard time, but if there is nothing wrong with it, within minutes it will dart for the nearest cover. If it has not done that, than its odds on it has sustained some degree of injury. I would be tempted to bath it with a 1 part Betadine to 50 parts water solution to ensure that any unseen external injuries are disinfected. Shold be able to tell if there is any improvement in reactivity and general activity by the end of the week. If there is, then there is every chance you can rehabilitate it. If not, keep trying but be aware that the prognosis is not good.

Good on you for caring and wanting help. If you have reptile wildlife carers in your area, they can assist with advice and perhaps even take on the care role.

Blue

If it were me I would keep it in the click-clack with water and mabey feed it some crickets or woddies from the pet store ( if its big enough to eat them of course) for a couple of days until its moving better. Than find the best spot you can, ( preferably where the cat cant get him again :p) and let him go. But I am no expert on rehabilitation so i might not be right.

Hazordous-Herps,
For someone not well versed in rehabilitation, that is pretty good advice. Well done!

Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back