Skinks fighting

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gtrlc6

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have a western blue tongue and just purchased a centralian. They both are similar sizes but the centralian is the larger one.
I put them into a 4 foot enclosure and in about 10mins the centralian attacked the western. Another 10mins after they broke up he attacked again.
I've separated them at the moment.
I did notice when the centralian had a firm grip on the western, a purple object was sticking out between its rear legs.
I live in Melb, VIC and it is late spring at the moment.
Im not too sure what to do? Is there a certain way to introduce them together? I know some people dont agree with mixing skinks together but i dont have a option at the moment.

sounds like the central is a boy and is trying to mate the other, which you hsouldnt allow out of moral reasons, and if the other is a male, then it will be harassed and attacked constantly. you need to seperate them after all it is breeding season

You dont have an option ? Why did you get it if you didnt have the option of serparating ?

not to sound aggresive

I was told by the pet shop i bought him from that it would be fine for the two to be in the same enclosure and that the centralian has been living with other bluey's being a blotch.

Sounds like mating behavior to me . If it was aggression the makes hemipenes wouldn't just be popping out like that

I would of thought with similar climates and conditions it would be ok.

I've had a eastern and blotch together in a enclosure and 2x shinglebacks together in another for years with no problems.

Ive seen beardies and skinks mixed together in pet shops before.

I do not want them to mate so at the moment they are separated. When does mating session normally end?

Ive seen beardies and skinks mixed together in pet shops before.
I keep a beardie and a bluetongue together in a very large outdoor enclosure, they get along really well (i.e. they completely ignore each other). I had a back up though for the beardie in case things went wrong and introduced them a few times outside the enclosure before putting them in together.

a purple object was sticking out between its rear legs.
Admittedly, I don't breed my reptiles, just keep 'em for pets (that seems to put me in the minority! :lol:), but it sounds like he's trying to mate.

try avoid keeping other reptiles together its the safest way to do things. Sure some work well together but alot easier to keep them seperate.

re Skinks

You have to be prepared to separate,even outside i have to have multiple enclosures,you find with bluetongues of most species that the males attack each other until one male just weakens and dies if not separated.Yours does sound like mating behaviour and the blue things is a hemipenis,which in zulu is a lizard donga,separate to save the presumed female from being donged, Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back