Slatey Grey & Small Eyed snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WombleHerp

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
what are the major key differences between these 2 species?
e.g.
SVL
head shape
scales
colouration

just interested is all :)

Nat ;) x

Just quickly
The Eastern smalleyed will have its pre ocular scale touching the nasal scale and will have all single sub caudal scales ( indicating a live bearer)

The Slatey grey will have a loreal scale in between and separating the pre ocular and nasal scale.

Small Eyed Snake rarely reach 1m in length, usually adult length is 600mm TL, while the Slaty- Grey Snake reaches over 1m usually adult length of 1.3m TL.
Colouration for Small Eyed Snakes is usually black, with Slaty- Grey Snakes can be dark brown to very grey,
Thanks Tim.

Just quickly
The Eastern smalleyed will have its pre ocular scale touching the nasal scale and will have all single sub caudal scales ( indicating a live bearer)

The Slatey grey will have a loreal scale in between and separating the pre ocular and nasal scale.

ahh ok, so its a matter of the loreal scale, and the divided/single sub caudals. :) thankyou that is helpful info, also i didnt know that small eyed snakes were live bearers, that is also useful info. what other elapids are live bearers? i know death adders are..

(im trying to build up my knowledge on herps for my career choice, im taking courses, just doing extra)

Nat ;) x

One may bite and makes you pee brown, the other bites numerous times to no effect other than a bit of blood at the bite site(s). ;)

One may bite and makes you pee brown, the other bites numerous times to no effect other than a bit of blood at the bite site(s). ;)

hahaha im not THAT willing to learn :p

Thanks for the replies everyone, it is very helpful.
so RBB, Copperheads, Small Eyes, and Death Adders are all live bearers. Very interesting :D

Anything else that is useful to know when dealing with vens? whether that be the cute bobble eyed Brown tree snake, to the whippy Coastal Tai?

Nat ;) x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back