Slipped Skin Disease

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A lovely sentiment Herpo, though I am inclined to think that the book may be referencing this paper ;)

Yes we are learning more every day in reptile husbandry . As reptile keeping is becoming more advanced we will be learning even more . Thanks to the passionate students like Herpo our hobby is in good hands . i salute you Herpo .

Starlord, reading extensively on your chosen species and/or group is part of the package of reptile keeping! It fuels the passion that is reptile keeping and also helps you to learn and refine your husbandry techniques. Why, I have spent just as much, if not more, on informative reptile books, than on actual lizards. But don't quote me on this, I am no mathematician. :p

Just by reading littlemay's link I was reminded of the book The Arcadia Guide to Reptile and Amphibian Nutrition. By reading the list of important vitamins and minerals, and the roles they play when supplied to your reptile at just the right amount, or over or under-supplied, it may help you on your road to healing your snake effectively, and also, may help you to prevent another such incident. Just guessing here, but perhaps your snake's condition may have occurred from a vitamin/mineral deficiency due to your underfeeding? However, there must be other useful reading materials out there. Broaden your knowledge. Either way, good luck!

EDIT: This passage is directly quoted from the above mentioned book, page 55. It may be relevant in relation to littlemay's link in regards to Vitamin C, which appears to be related to Slippery Skin Disease.

"Vitamin C is essential in the production of collagen. This, in turn, allows the production and repair of muscles, tissue, tendons, scales and skin . . . Vitamin C also works to speed up the skin-healing process, and may be useful after serious damage in terms of cuts and/or burns . . . Vitamin C is also a famous antioxidant that acts to free the body from toxins that left, if unchecked, may build-up and cause a problem . . . Vitamin C is found in plants . . . but can also be found in animal and insect sources. It could be that the plants that are eaten by insects and are eventually assimilated by the predator provide a source of usable Vitamin C to the predator. Vitamin C is also stored in small but usable amounts in and around the liver, kidneys, brain and other vital organs, and again in eggs."

Quote continues on to page 56. "The sources of Vitamin C are many, and as it is required in small doses, a varied diet should provide the animal all that it needs."

Hope this helps in anyway.

Well i guess i should fire up my UVB light again.

UVB is not going to help with Vitamin C. UVB helps with Vitamin D. Try dosing your python with some herpaboost, either directly, or injected into the food item. And increase its feeds for a little while, both in size and frequency.

UVB is not going to help with Vitamin C. UVB helps with Vitamin D. Try dosing your python with some herpaboost, either directly, or injected into the food item. And increase its feeds for a little while, both in size and frequency.

Yes, but i read somewhere online that vitamin D3 that is produced by UVB aids in the production of vitamin C. Maybe it was incorrect, or i misread it or something.

Generally UV is not necessary for snakes. It isn't going to hurt, but it isn't a prerequisite for good health.

Oops, this was meant to be directed at starlord - pinefamily you're spot on - sorry

While I'm not disagreeing with anything you have said, how am I incorrect?

Edit: all good. Just confused me, that's all. :)

Last edited:
Yes, but i read somewhere online that vitamin D3 that is produced by UVB aids in the production of vitamin C. Maybe it was incorrect, or i misread it or something.

Youre totally incorrect. I thought from the outset that this was likely related to nutritional deficiency. Vitamin C deficiency in mammals is scurvy, but in this instance the deficiency is likely to be multifactorial. Your snake is most likely dying of starvation - if the skin is affected so will be every other organ. If you weren't capable of looking after this snake when it was healthy, why would you think that you're capable of nursing a dying snake back to life? Euthenase it or surrender it to someone with a bit of compassion / common sense.

Youre totally incorrect. I thought from the outset that this was likely related to nutritional deficiency. Vitamin C deficiency in mammals is scurvy, but in this instance the deficiency is likely to be multifactorial. Your snake is most likely dying of starvation - if the skin is affected so will be every other organ. If you weren't capable of looking after this snake when it was healthy, why would you think that you're capable of nursing a dying snake back to life? Euthenase it or surrender it to someone with a bit of compassion / common sense.

How do i go about this Euthanization process that everyone is encouraging.

Whatever the outcome, does anyone think maybe emailing pics/description of the snake/wounds to the vet who wrote that article on Slippery Skin Disease, "Robert Johnson" of South Penrith Veterinary Clinic, Penrith, NSW, Australia would be a good idea? (and ask the vet who attended to the snake to forward the notes as well to him)

Excerpt taken from the article
Despite anecdotal reports of similar conditions to "slippery skin disease" in reptiles (Z Knotek,
pers comm; K Rose, pers comm), there appear to be no case reports in the peer-reviewed
literature. Electron microscopic examination of tissue from Cases 1 and 2 is being organised;
meanwhile the author would appreciate any feedback from reptile veterinarians if they have
seen similar cases.

How do i go about this Euthanization process that everyone is encouraging.

Take him to a vet who will do it quickly and humanely. For research purposes I'd take a copy of that article on Slippery Skin Disease and ask the vet to contact Robert Johnson of Penrith vet clinic, he may be interested in getting a sample of the tissue for research into the disease.

Otherwise you can do it this way in an emergency:

Euthanasia can be done by destroying the brain with a sharp blow to the head, on the middle and just posterior to the eyes. This can be done in an emergency, as when an animal is found hit by a car, grievously injured but not yet dead and no other method is available. This is among the most common methods of euthanizing feeder rodents. Care must be taken to perform this method properly, as a soft or misdirected blow could injure the patient without killing it. Large reptiles (crocodiles, monitors and big tortoises) can be killed with a gunshot of appropriate caliber to the brain.

- - - Updated - - -

Take him to a vet who will do it quickly and humanely. For research purposes I'd take a copy of that article on Slippery Skin Disease and ask the vet to contact Robert Johnson of Penrith vet clinic, he may be interested in getting a sample of the tissue for research into the disease.

Otherwise you can do it this way in an emergency:

- - - Updated - - -

So like with a rock?

If you decide euthanasia is the best option PLEASE take it to a vet.
This animal has suffered enough without an inexperienced "hit it with a rock" attempt to put it out of it's misery.

Definitely get a vet to do it, it isn't an emergency is it. A blow to the head is more for an animal in severe distress, unable to get to the vet, road trauma kind of thing, and unless you are confident and know what you're doing, well...best not to.

Could you at the same time, take a print out (or put the info from that article on Slipped Skin Disease on a USB) to show it to the vet? Then just ask the vet to contact Robert Johnson of Penrith Vet Clinic who has asked for feedback on any similar cases, as your snake might be one they are interested in.
He might then take a tissue sample in case it's needed (after euthanasia)

(I'm not a vet obviously, it's just my suggestion to do the above seeing as SSD is rare and your snake may be suffering from it)

Definitely get a vet to do it, it isn't an emergency is it. A blow to the head is more for an animal in severe distress, unable to get to the vet, road trauma kind of thing, and unless you are confident and know what you're doing, well...best not to.

Could you at the same time, take a print out (or put the info from that article on Slipped Skin Disease on a USB) to show it to the vet? Then just ask the vet to contact Robert Johnson of Penrith Vet Clinic who has asked for feedback on any similar cases, as your snake might be one they are interested in.
He might then take a tissue sample in case it's needed (after euthanasia)

(I'm not a vet obviously, it's just my suggestion to do the above seeing as SSD is rare and your snake may be suffering from it)

Alrighty, i'll try to get to vet Tuesday i don't think the staff are going to like it. Thanks for your help anyway.

Never mind my snake is dead.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back