Slithery Christmas Shock: Family Finds Snake In A Toilet Roll

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flaviemys purvisi

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
10logo.png
Siobhan Kenna

10 daily News Reporter

Tuesday 25 December 2018

Everybody loves a good Christmas present, but this is not the kind one family expected.

Snake catchers were called to a home in Redlands, southeast of Brisbane, on Sunday evening after a family discovered a baby python hiding in their toilet roll holder.

The little snake had made its way inside the home and found itself a cozy spot in the roll's hole.

Elite Snake Catching Brisbane told the Brisbane Times that they remove as many as 12 snakes a day from homes at this time of year.
1096ecba1bf3b67df947e7265bb2b5f9-162749.jpg
The snake was discovered coiled inside a toilet roll. Image: Facebook/ Elite Snake Catching Brisbane

"Everywhere you think a snake could go they will end up," Elite Snake Catching Brisbane's Stewart Lalor said.

"If you have a snake, the best thing to do is not to panic; being bitten is extremely rare and they are only dangerous if you interact with them."

Pythons are the main species of snake catchers deal with around Brisbane, as well as eastern brown snakes -- the second most venomous snake in the world.

Lalor advised if people find a snake close to their properly to call a snake catcher immediately and try to avoid contact with the animal.

Featured Image: Facebook/ Elite Snake Catching Brisbane

I must be a cynic but are all the supposed snake situations publicised by various snake catchers to promote their businesses genuine or are they posed to get sensational photos. It would be very easy to trap a bird or possum (or use a small dog) and feed it to a carpet or put tame snakes in unusual spots then make a video. Now that's a solution for my neighbours pesky cat.
A large percentage of "wild life" photos and video are in fact shot in controlled situations, mostly in zoos or with captive animals kept cool so they are easy to handle and pose. You don't just wander into the bush with a camera crew and hope you find a particular reptile that will conveniently pose for the cameras.

I must be a cynic but are all the supposed snake situations publicised by various snake catchers to promote their businesses genuine or are they posed to get sensational photos. It would be very easy to trap a bird or possum (or use a small dog) and feed it to a carpet or put tame snakes in unusual spots then make a video. Now that's a solution for my neighbours pesky cat.
A large percentage of "wild life" photos and video are in fact shot in controlled situations, mostly in zoos or with captive animals kept cool so they are easy to handle and pose. You don't just wander into the bush with a camera crew and hope you find a particular reptile that will conveniently pose for the cameras.

Often they're blatantly posed (but the common man is stupid enough not to know), sometimes they're obviously genuine, stuff like this is pretty difficult to be sure about. Wouldn't be surprising either way. I don't think you're a cynic, if I had to bet I'd consider going for staged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back