Slow digestion? (Jungle Carpet)(newbie)

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vexen

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I have a young jungle carpet python who ate 3 days ago and still has a rather noticeable bump in her stomach. I've been feeding her nearly weaned mice, around the 18 day old mark, and she has been taking them fine for three weeks straight, once a week. When I first got her she ate twice fine, went through a no eating period (around a month) and since has been doing absolutely incredible. I was just wondering if what seems to be a slightly slower digestion rate is anything to worry about? Also, I know that they don't necessarily defecate between every feed, and she hasn't passed anything major for the last 3 feeds, I don't know if "poop buildup" is visible in the snake?

This isn't a major issue as I don't see any discomfort and she is acting normal, and I believe all husbandry is correct as we have gone through trial and error and she seems happiest at her current temp range and humidity, I just want to double check that this is nothing to be worried about.

She had no trouble taking the prey item and swallowing it, but maybe I am feeding too large?

I will update with photos and her current weight and length shortly.

Thanks in advance for any help.

What’s her basking temps? Could be too low? Measure it with a temp gun

What are you feeding her?

I generally wait for poop before feeding the next item, this way you know she’s digesting and passing food properly, last thing you want is her to pass a half digested mouse from either end(could be caused by a gut full of poop aswell as poor basking temps)... trust me.. you will spend the whole week trying to get rid of the smell

What’s her basking temps? Could be too low? Measure it with a temp gun

What are you feeding her?

I generally wait for poop before feeding the next item, this way you know she’s digesting and passing food properly, last thing you want is her to pass a half digested mouse from either end(could be caused by a gut full of poop aswell as poor basking temps)... trust me.. you will spend the whole week trying to get rid of the smell

Thanks for the input! I'll temp gun when I get home as I'm out atm, but her basking spot is usually a steady 35c(95F), I originally had her at 33C and that's when she stopped eating, after bumping her up she hasn't refused a single meal. The breeder I got her from keeps his at 31-34C but she seems very happy to hang in her hotspot after the increase.

Also, thanks for your insight on waiting for her to poop before feeding. I'd been told by various people and read on a number of sites that this wasn't necessary, I'll see if anyone else shares your opinion and maybe try it out, I really don't like the thought of her feeling clogged up. I can imagine it being like having a massive meal daily for us!
Edit: she is eating nearly weaned mice, so end of fuzzy stage but not quite hopper.

Thanks for the input! I'll temp gun when I get home as I'm out atm, but her basking spot is usually a steady 35c(95F), I originally had her at 33C and that's when she stopped eating, after bumping her up she hasn't refused a single meal. The breeder I got her from keeps his at 31-34C but she seems very happy to hang in her hotspot after the increase.

Also, thanks for your insight on waiting for her to poop before feeding. I'd been told by various people and read on a number of sites that this wasn't necessary, I'll see if anyone else shares your opinion and maybe try it out, I really don't like the thought of her feeling clogged up. I can imagine it being like having a massive meal daily for us!
Edit: she is eating nearly weaned mice, so end of fuzzy stage but not quite hopper.

I also wouldn’t worry unless it’s like 7 days and there’s still a bulge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back